Q about liquid carbon and CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Q about liquid carbon and CO2

I have 1 plant in my tank that sort of needs a carbon source to grow well. The rest of the plants are low tech plants. My question is will a little excel per week hurt my plants? Java moss, wisteria, crypts, amazon swords, ludwigia, dwarf sag, anubias nana, frog bit, hornwort. The CO2 plant is cyperus Helferi.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUNSUN Pimp #103 Model HW505a Fraternity of Dirt #155
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't use c02 in any of my dirted tanks. Just Flourish,Iron and potassium liquid ferts. Plants are growing fine.

The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's cool but that wasn't my question. Will excel hurt plants that don't need excel?

Also, where and I get some potassium?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Some plants respond very poorly to excel. As far as I know most low-tech plants love the stuff. Someone with more knowledge can probably give you a list of plants that are notorious for melting under excel dosing. There aren't many but they do exist.

IMO excel will help you out greatly. I use it in all my tanks (even the CO2 one) and have had most of the plants you list there

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The hornwort, crypts and possibly the sword have shown a distaste for Excel. However, using the daily dose without the larger water change dose seems to prevent most issues with melting. I would just start low and work your way up over time.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Agreed, most plants benefit from liquid carbon, even low-tech ones that don't strictly need it.

There are a few plants that are sensitive to liquid carbon.

Anarcharis is notorious for melting if you use liquid carbon. It sure melted mine really fast, although mine wasn't in the greatest shape to begin with. I've also heard of people having issues using liquid carbon on Vals, and occasionally crypts. That said, I don't have any problems with liquid carbon and my current plants, and I have a few crypt wendtii's.

Even sensitive plants can work with liquid carbon. There are folks out there with Anacharis that dose it have the plants thriving, but they've generally worked on acclimating the plants to it.

If you are concerned, I would start off with light doses, and slowly work your way up. Keep an eye on your plants, particularly the crypts. If anything shows damage, skip a day or two to let them recover some, then drop the dosage down a bit and resume.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Liquid carbon (glutaraldehyd) tends to melt Egeria densae, Riccia, Vals and Fissidens. However, they often bounce back after a time, seemingly adapted to the carbon.

Humans may rule the world...but bacteria run it..
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use double doses with two Crypt plants in the tank but I would start on just one regular dose as recommended. And I would skip any oversized first or just after the water change type doses. Just the regular recommended daily ones.
And it does very little good to use it any way but daily. The stuff changes chemically and is gone in 24 hrs.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the info.

Bump: Where and I get some potassium?

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Get some dry ferts like KNO3 (will add a lot of nitrates though) / K2SO4 for potassium

aquariumfertilizers.com / greenleafaquariums.com are good places to get dry ferts

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I started dosing excel at 1/2 dose and slowly worked my up to daily double dose, didn't do
Then after water changes dose. Not only did my egeria najas and swords survive the greatly increased growth rate
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 05:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My sword plants and my crypts are just fine with excel. I'm at a triple dosage in my tank atm.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I don't keep Crypts but have had just about everything else. Some plants don't respond well to spot treating Excel but that doesn't mean they don't benefit from it. Rarely does a plant suffer from a 2-3x overdose of Excel for that matter. I think it's a great, but some what expensive product (long run). There are certainly plants that are less tolerant of overdoing but I have yet to keep a plant that didn't see a benefit, or stay the same while other plants in the same tank benefit, at reasonable dosages.

Some plants get a bad reputation for not being able to tolerate it because of treatments or high dosages. IMO, that's like saying a Honda Civic gets terrible mileage because you always drive it like you stole it, a medication doesn't work because you tripled the dosage and side effects are bad, etc. I have never seen anything negative with regular dosing, I know many plants that are sensitive to it, but they still do fine with regular dosing.

-Matt

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do 10 ml per week. I know that's hardly any at all.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothBoris View Post
I do 10 ml per week. I know that's hardly any at all.
10 ml is the Seachem recommended dosage for 50 gallons, if it is a daily dose. If it is a weekly dose, it isn't doing any good as a source of carbon, but it may help keep algae under control.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode