Fertilizer Check. Advice needed. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizer Check. Advice needed.

I have several tanks, of various sizes, with similar water parameters (save for one).

All of them have plants in them, some more than others.

I have recently started dosing the EI method on all of the tanks, but am not sure if I am over or under or over doing it.

What I have:

29g-

Plant life: driftwood, some duckweed, a couple of smaller amazon swords (with root tabs), 15 or so stems of Bacopa (recently chopped them down quite a bit), a couple of anubius, and scattered bits of flame moss.

Inhabitants: 4 Black Tetras, 9 neon tetras, a green tiger barb, a bolivian ram, several nerites etc and two cory cats.

Equipment: Finnex Planted Plus, (2) AquaClear 50 HOB filters (soon to be replaced by an Eheim Classic 250), and a Hydor 240 circulation pump.

Substrate: Eco-complete black sand.

This tank is established and has been set up for about 2 years. I would like to keep it as low tech as I can with the lighting I have. There is no co2 and I have only just started with the dry ferts.

Doses: KNO3 .60 ml and KH2PO4 .30 ml once a week. Flourish 3 ml twice a week.

I bought some Aquavitro Propel (Fe) today and was curious about how much of that I should be dosing, I'll wait until I hear from ya'll.

20g Long-

Plant life: Some duck weed, a very very small amazon sword, 3 stems of bacopa, driftwood with flame moss on it, and two anubius.

I have some Dwarf Sag ordered that I was planning on adding to this tank, but may just add more anubius and/or bacopa.

Inhabitants: Just added two Kribensis today.

Equipment: (2) CFL lights 13w each (6500k), (1) AquaClear 50, (1) small Aqueon HOB.

Substrate: Aragonite mixed with white silica sand, and one large Texas Holey rock.

Doses: KNO3 .15ml and KH2PO4 .075 once a week, Flourish .5ml twice a week. Waiting on the Iron after hearing from ya'll.

This tank I just added the plants last weekend, and haven't had any in it since I filled it and cycled it in March. The fish I just added today are also the first inhabitants since setting it up etc (save for a few RCS and some snails).

Fluval Edge 6gal-

Plant life: some driftwood, Duckweed, (2) small anubius, (3) small stems of bacopa, and a whole bunch of flame moss.

Inhabitants: (1) Nerite, seemingly a million assassin snails, a colony of RCS.

Equipment: HOB that came with it, and (1) CFL 20w (I dont use the light that came with the tank).

Substrate: FloraMax

Doses: (same as 20g long) KNO3 .15ml and KH2PO4 .075 once a week, Flourish .5ml twice a week. Waiting on the Iron after hearing from ya'll.

The 4th tank is a small Fluval Spec V that has only a couple wisteria, flame moss, and a very very small amazon sword. FloraMax. Marineland LED and a larger pump than what came with it (to increase flow). This is my experiment/snail farm tank (no fish). Not too worried about this one.

With all of that laid out there, I am curious as to whether I am going about this the right way with regards to keeping my plants nourished, and keeping the vast majority of algae away.

All comments, advice, critique welcome.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
I just scanned your post quickly but without knowing how you mixed your ferts the amount dosed really doesnt mean much. With that info I could help more. Are you sure you are dosing .15ml or 0.075 ml? I dont even know how you would measure that small of an amount. Also I dont see how you could mix the ferts concentrated enough to dose that small amount and be getting enough.

About the extra iron, assuming you arent dosing co2 it is unlikely that you will need any more iron than what is already added with the flourish. You should also look into getting some CSM+B instead of the flourish, as it will be much cheaper.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
I just scanned your post quickly but without knowing how you mixed your ferts the amount dosed really doesnt mean much. With that info I could help more. Are you sure you are dosing .15ml or 0.075 ml? I dont even know how you would measure that small of an amount. Also I dont see how you could mix the ferts concentrated enough to dose that small amount and be getting enough.

About the extra iron, assuming you arent dosing co2 it is unlikely that you will need any more iron than what is already added with the flourish. You should also look into getting some CSM+B instead of the flourish, as it will be much cheaper.
My ferts are dry. I measure them out with various measuring spoons. Mix them in a small container with tank water and pour them into the tank. I guess I should have just said 1/16, 1/32 etc..but you know what I mean. The flourish I add with a syringe.

None of my tanks have injected CO2, nor do I plan on going that route. I have Excel here, but haven't used it yet, and dont really want to get into the habit of using it unless its absolutely necessary.

I will look into the CSM+B once I run out of my current bottle of Flourish. I bought the additional Iron as I read somewhere that it was beneficial to plant growth and that it "couldnt hurt to add more."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have various tanks and I am about to start dosing EI within the next few weeks. Instead of trying to figure out what amount to dose each, I've decided to convert milliliters to drops and dose according to how many gallons each tank is.

For example, prime recommends 5 ml for every 50g or 1 ml for every 10 g. If you convert it to drops, it is 20 drops per 10g then divide that by 10 and you get 2 drops per gallon.

http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/milliliterdrop.php
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

I use cheap pipettes that have ml marked on the sides. They were like $.10 each at the LFS. Mixing dry ferts for nano tanks is hard, I use the calculator and premix a bottle at a time, but my digital scale doesn't do decimal places, so I guess. Plus, I'm pretty sure the humidity has affected the weight and volume, as the dry grains look different now. My measurements are a complete guess. I got the GLA stuff from a fellow local club member for cheap, so I might just use it in my garden and get some liquid ferts. Excel helps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode