Test measuring well water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Test measuring well water

How big of a water sample do I need to use to test TDS, GH and KH?

I bought a 5 gallon bucket as well as a small air pump and stone, filled the 5 gallon bucket up to a couple inches below the rim and let the air stone run for a day. The water itself sat in the bucket for another day until the TDS tester arrived in the mail. I tested it and got 100ppm.

Unfortunately Drs Foster and Smith sent me the wrong test kit so I have to go to the store to buy the GH/KH kit before I can test that.

Is that pretty much all the prep work you need to do to test your water? As far as the TDS score, where does that put me in terms of water quality for the aquarium? Any adjusting needed or is it alright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derik999 View Post
Unfortunately Drs Foster and Smith sent me the wrong test kit so I have to go to the store to buy the GH/KH kit before I can test that.
Don't know about the rest of it, but Fosters and Smith sent me the wrong test kit this week as well. Did you call them? I ordered a GH/KH test kit and got a high range PH test, called them and they shipped out the right test (I hope it's the right test) the next day and told me to keep the wrong one. Though I don't need a high range PH test
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Don't know about the rest of it, but Fosters and Smith sent me the wrong test kit this week as well. Did you call them? I ordered a GH/KH test kit and got a high range PH test, called them and they shipped out the right test (I hope it's the right test) the next day and told me to keep the wrong one. Though I don't need a high range PH test
That was the same one I got, lol.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have another question. Even if I'm using well water would it be better to prep the water overnight if I'm planning to do a water change? Run the air stone and let it sit for 24 hours?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The only reason I can see for letting private well water sit overnight is to eliminate most of the dissolved CO2 in the water. Of course if you are treating the well water with chlorine for sanitation, it would help to let the water stand overnight to allow the chlorine to escape. Other than that nothing would happen overnight.

Hoppy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The only reason I can see for letting private well water sit overnight is to eliminate most of the dissolved CO2 in the water. Of course if you are treating the well water with chlorine for sanitation, it would help to let the water stand overnight to allow the chlorine to escape. Other than that nothing would happen overnight.
Thanks for the info. Hoppy!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok I tested the water in the 5 gallon bucket that has sat around for a few days and this is the data I have so far.

TDS: 102
KH: 4
pH: 7.9 to 8.0 (color was hard to match but that's the closest it got)
Ammonia: 0.20ppm (right between the first two colors)

The driftwood should lower the pH correct? Is it just temporarily?

Should I have the water tested professionally to double check?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is unusual to have ammonia in untreated well water, in my opinion.

What I suggest doing is using a clean glass container that will comfortably hold about 6 ounces of water if you are planning on aerating the water sample. This eliminates the possibility that the bucket or any plastic container is affecting the test results.

This 6 oz. water sample will also allow you to compare your test results between 'fresh' tap water and 24 hr aerated tap water to see if there is a difference in pH.

Don't forget to thoroughly rinse out your test vials with tap water a couple times and then a quick rinse with your sample water before performing the test. This allows any previous residue to be removed that could contaminate your results. Also rinse the test vials the same way after testing to avoid any residue from permanently staining or drying up in the vials.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
It is unusual to have ammonia in untreated well water, in my opinion.

What I suggest doing is using a clean glass container that will comfortably hold about 6 ounces of water if you are planning on aerating the water sample. This eliminates the possibility that the bucket or any plastic container is affecting the test results.

This 6 oz. water sample will also allow you to compare your test results between 'fresh' tap water and 24 hr aerated tap water to see if there is a difference in pH.

Don't forget to thoroughly rinse out your test vials with tap water a couple times and then a quick rinse with your sample water before performing the test. This allows any previous residue to be removed that could contaminate your results. Also rinse the test vials the same way after testing to avoid any residue from permanently staining or drying up in the vials.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Another suggestion...

If you have access to some distilled water (you can buy a gallon at most grocery stores.), test that. If that doesn't match the color of 0, your test and color scale aren't matched up quite exactly.

You might want to try different light sources and see if it looks right under different lighting. Most tests the color chart is calibrated for sunlight.. indoor lights can add some color bias, as the printing ink isn't exactly the same shade as the test chemicals in all lighting.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Another suggestion...

If you have access to some distilled water (you can buy a gallon at most grocery stores.), test that. If that doesn't match the color of 0, your test and color scale aren't matched up quite exactly.

You might want to try different light sources and see if it looks right under different lighting. Most tests the color chart is calibrated for sunlight.. indoor lights can add some color bias, as the printing ink isn't exactly the same shade as the test chemicals in all lighting.
Good idea, I'll give it a shot. Yeah the best thing would be to use pieces of colored acrylic to represent the different pH levels. Would make things waaaay easier.

My dad is lucky. Their well water out of the tap is KH: 6, pH: 7.4. I just added 10 neon tetras, two spotted cory cats (makes 8 now) and 5 zebra danios (makes 10 now) on Saturday to his 40B. All doing great and didn't take long to acclimate the pH from the pet shop. My folks get back from their vacation tomorrow so he'll have a little surprise when he gets home.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't think in terms of pH. Fish acclimate to that OK.
The concern is the mineral levels. Make sure the GH especially is the same, and the TDS is important.
When fish are moved from water that is harder or softer than what they were in, they need to acclimate to the new water.
A degree or two of difference is usually pretty safe. More than that can be a problem, requiring longer time (up to a month) to change their metabolism.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode