EI micro solution turns to snow in aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI micro solution turns to snow in aquarium

Hello,

I have been dosing my EI ferts by making a liquid solution per one of the calculators. I have noticed however, when i add my micros it instantly turns into a white snow like precipitate when it hits the aquarium water. It will slowly dissolve on the bottom but i was curious if this is normal?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Are you dosing iron in that mix? If so you may need to dose it separately at a different time.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb53910 View Post
Hello,

I have been dosing my EI ferts by making a liquid solution per one of the calculators. I have noticed however, when i add my micros it instantly turns into a white snow like precipitate when it hits the aquarium water. It will slowly dissolve on the bottom but i was curious if this is normal?!
That is really weird, I have never seen that happen, as long as it all dissolves it is probably ok. You would happen to have a video of it would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Are you dosing iron in that mix? If so you may need to dose it separately at a different time.
Iron is a micronutrient and is just fine in the micro mix.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah im using plantex csm+B and i mixed it with distilled water after using a precision scale to weigh the micros. Ill see if i can get a video the next time i dose. It literally just precipitates out into white flakes.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

It would be an issue with pH making the minerals precipitate out. Check your pH as I am sure it the cause.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Strong Attraction

Can you share your recipe with us?

Best guess is you are mixing Phosphates in there and in concentrations over 0.1-mol they precipitate, form little rocks which will never dissolve.

Joe
FBTB
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
This happened to me, A- I was dosing way to much, B- it could be the dried residue flakes in the dosing chamber??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i just put the plantex in the bottle, all the other macros get mixed in another bottle. I used a calculator to determine a 5ml dose for a 20 gallon aquarium with a bottle volume of 500ml. It seems that the flakes do eventually dissolve
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Data! Data! Data!

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me as to the amounts and/or point me to the calculator?

I have been trying to duplicate your results. I can get the same results, alas, I am using a different set of fertz to do that.

Are you dosing micronutrients and macronutrients at the same time?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."
Sherlock Holmes Quote
-The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

I like this stuff, no matter what people may think (or say), I am not trying to trap, embarrass or humiliate anyone, and I am just curious and (perhaps) ridiculously persistent. Unfortunately I am not particularly bright, so I have to work a little harder than normal folk.

I would be most-humbly-grateful for any and all information you care to share.

Joe
FBTB
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb53910 View Post
i just put the plantex in the bottle, all the other macros get mixed in another bottle. I used a calculator to determine a 5ml dose for a 20 gallon aquarium with a bottle volume of 500ml. It seems that the flakes do eventually dissolve
How much Plantex are you adding to the 500ml bottle? Do you happen to know what your phosphate levels are? How are you mixing your macros (how much of each in the bottle and dose size)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post
I have been trying to duplicate your results. I can get the same results, alas, I am using a different set of fertz to do that.
What ferts are you using? I have tried to duplicate this with standard dry ferts and have to dose HUGE amounts to cause precipitation like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post
I like this stuff, no matter what people may think (or say), I am not trying to trap, embarrass or humiliate anyone, and I am just curious and (perhaps) ridiculously persistent.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
-Albert Einstein
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile If Not Part of the Solution You Are Precipitate

Hi Zorfox, dwb53910, All,

I am hoping dwb53910 will grace us with more information and I do not wish to unduly influence the answers.

At this point I suspect I know what has happened, because once-upon-a-time I think I probably did a similar thing.

Nor do I wish anyone to feel demeaned or picked on; I suspect this may be a good opportunity for a little practical chemistry.

I have come to suspect that there are many who see the same things but do not have the intestinal fortitude to ask the questions.

I suspect there are many who give up on the hobby that simply need a little basic information.

Though, I will say, the easiest way to get precipitates are any number of combinations with phosphates. These are little rocks, though they do indeed dissolve eventually, so very slow and inefficiently we classify them as insoluble.

The reasons are a little technical and require some rudimentary knowledge of chemistry. That is what we are doing with are fertilization and influencing a bevy of water parameters. Some of this stuff is actually very complex, people get PhD s in this stuff. So that we hobbyists are sometimes a little confused seems reasonable.

I know there are many wonderful articles here and on the internet, but sometimes the best lessons are the practical ones. This, I think, provides us an opportunity, so I am asking dwb53910 to come out and play.

Joe
FRTB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode