Making Fert Solutions From Dry Ferts - How? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Making Fert Solutions From Dry Ferts - How?

Hi. I want to dose NPK and micros that I would buy dry and then dissolve in distilled water. Any comments appreciated.

I think I need the ppm dose and preferably how many teaspoons of dry that is. Like I'm hoping someone can spell it all out. Also, the size of the containers to hold the solutions.

Thanks a lot.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The two links below should provide a good overview. The first is merely a list of recipes for common sized tanks. It includes teaspoon measures. The second explains non-limiting nutrient dosing. Although it implies EI, this concept can be applied to many different tank parameters hence the title "EI concept explained".

Dry dosing and Nutrient Solution Recipes
The EI Concept explained
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here is how I do it:
Figure out how much I want to give the tanks for 2 weeks.
Put that much in a bottle.
One bottle gets KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4. Label it Macros. The other bottle gets CSM+B. Label it Traces.
Add enough water to dissolve the materials, and make it some amount that makes dosing easy.
I dose at 1 ml per 3 gallons of tank size.
Add up all the gallons of all the tanks, and divide by 3. This is the daily dose.
Multiply by how many days worth of fertilizer is in there. 2 weeks of the EI program = 6 doses.

So...
I have 1000 gallons of tanks.
So I add that much fertilizer to the bottles, then do a little thinking.
1ml/3 gallons means I need 333ml per day.
I just put 6 days worth in the bottle, so I need to put 2 liters of water in the bottle.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

Here is everything you want to know. Much easier than adding all the Seachem liquids.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...e-pps-pro.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you :)

Thanks for the posts - they may help someone else too.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
If you tell us more about the tank such as, size, amount of light, are you dosing co2, then we can help you more. Do you have a digital scale? It makes mixing this much easier.

Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
If you tell us more about the tank such as, size, amount of light, are you dosing co2, then we can help you more. Do you have a digital scale? It makes mixing this much easier.

Thanks
My tank is a 10 gallon - 12" high, I guess. I have an inch of MGOCPM and an inch of sand. Lighting is two 10W CFL bulbs mounted in aluminum dome clamp-on fixtures elevated about 10" from substrate + 6-8". Fluval U2 internal filter. Sorry, haven't topped off water.

I am not dosing CO2. I have a digital food scale. I have dosed on occasion K2SO4 for a pinhole Potassium deficiency, but have never dosed NO3 or PO4. I dose Flourish Comprehensive at 1/2 of the max and use Root Tabs. I also use Seachem Equilibrium to bring my soft tap up to 7 dGH. pH is 7.6. NO3 is below 10 ppm.

Animals: 6 Pristella Tetras, MTS, Bladder snails

Plants: 1 small Sword unidentified, some small crypts, a bit of Java Moss, possibly Hornwort, and 10 stem plants (Sunset Hygro?) not sure what they are (ID requested on all ).

Have been running with MGOCPM 2-3 months Plants are growing, no algae. Tank started on 4/18/12 Planted with inert substrate. have had the Pristellas since almost the beginning and they are enjoying themselves.

Current Photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_28.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	369297  

started April 18, 2012
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ferts

Go online to 'green leaf aquariums.com". They spell it out for you , make it simple ,and are eager to answer all your questions. Good luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The Estimative Index is geared toward kitchen measuring tools (like teaspoons).
You can also get smaller spoons on line. (pinch, dash...)

With low light, no carbon, I would modify the EI based on what the fish food is giving you.

Fish food is high in most nutrients, but low in K, Fe and Ca.
You are already covering the Ca with the GH booster.
The high NO3 reading suggests that the N, P, and most traces are probably in the right range just from fish food.

I would start by just dosing K and Fe, and see how the plants respond.
You might find they need carbon before you need to dose any of the other nutrients.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode