Question regarding making fert solution - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question regarding making fert solution

I am looking to make a solution for my wife to use when I am away. Dry ferts I have are: kno3, k2so4, kh2po4, csm+b. I will be making a separate macro and micro solution, possible two different macros if necessary.
I usually do not dose kno3 because my tank is sufficiently stocked to keep nitrates unlimiting, but according to the calculator kno3 provides almost 5ppm of the desired 7.5ppm target of potassium that I am aiming for. Now I am not looking to debate target numbers or where I want to be ppm wise. (I will determine levels I want to be at during the time of mixing, just looking for this info before I start the math) What I am asking is can I safely increase k2so4 to make up for not using kno3. I know potassium is not dangerous for fish but it is the sulfate I am worried about reaching dangerous levels. Thanks for any help.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes. You can use K2SO4 to supply all of your potassium without any issues.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you very much zorfox.

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes. The dose is not exactly the same, but it is the easiest to remember: You can dose either or both, and swap them in equal amounts.

So, if the recipe says to dose 1 teaspoon of KNO3, but you do not want that much NO3, you could dose any combination of K2SO4 and KNO3 to total 1 teaspoon.
zero KNO3 + 1 tsp K2SO4
1/4 tsp KNO3 + 3/4 tsp K2SO4
1/2 tsp each

and so on.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you Diane. That was my next research. Since my nitrate has been stabling and even dropping somewhat I wanted to start using small amounts on kno3 to ensure I did not limit myself there because my plant mass is increasing significantly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode