Large low tech plant, just the basics (at first), and they are...? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Large low tech plant, just the basics (at first), and they are...?

Starting up a 220 G tank that I want to be lightly planted and lightly stocked and end up being in a somewhat steady state for lower maintenance. No CO2, low to maybe low-medium lighting.

I realize you can only get so close to that low maintenance goal, but ....

Stock not chosen but planning a cleanup crew and probably two schools of something like tetras.

Plants so far are wysteria, dwarf hair grass, some crypts and anubis, and soon to come some jungle val for one end. Then plan to add a bunch of moss, probably flame, and maybe some ferns on the driftwood.

Substrate is blasting sand, and I put some osmecote plus under it, and plan to put root tabs around most of the plants.

I'm thinking of dosing initially with liquid gold... sorry, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive weekly, and iron... daily?

I was thinking of not using excel (I use it in another tank doing well), as I will have a lot more surface agitation on this tank, and I keep hearing mixed things for some plants.

Will that get me going reasonably, and then if needed respond to deficiencies?

Should I need Iron daily? I dose my other tank, after having a lot of signs of iron deficiency (despite being in ecco-complete), and it looks much better, but when I test there's never more than just a bare trace in the tank. And yes I've used the calibration liquid to see that the test is working.

Once I get things going I'll switch, perhaps, to either specific liquids or dry ferts, but I'd like to get this going smoothly even if it is a bit pricey at first.

Is this a good, basic startup plan?

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you want low maintenabce stay away from EI ferts but still do the dry ferts for long term better prices. IMO EI was mostly designed for those using injected CO2 but is
also used by others who don't have the injected CO2. It REQUIRES a once a week water change of 50% (or more) so there goes your low maintenance right from the start.
The Osmocote+ is a complete fert and most root tabs are not so why not use the Osmocote for root tabs. I only have two 10g tanks so I use my tweezers to put in the individual beads under my plants @ say 2-3 for a 4" plant. You just need to be mindfull that you don't exceed the recommended doses of one capsule per every 6" square.
But you can wait till you plant and then place them close to each plant instead of.
When I started I used #4 blasting sand and I still use it as the base of my Flourite or Eco which each tank has one of in it. Makes it cheaper to do those subs. Eco doesn't give off nutrients. Someone on here said it's like saying that my dinner plant is made of these minerals so they are in my food now...LOL...
Unfortunately I don't have access to my bookmarks right now but there is one on here and a couple more good places to buy dry ferts...here I found one...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168153

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
If you want low maintenabce stay away from EI ferts
Yeah, when I first read about that, it sounded a little like eating by diving into a vat of food, and counting on being hauled out, rather than putting a serving on a plate. Very effective, but not what I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
The Osmocote+ is a complete fert and most root tabs are not so why not use the Osmocote for root tabs. I only have two 10g tanks so I use my tweezers to put in the individual beads under my plants @ say 2-3 for a 4" plant. You just need to be mindfull that you don't exceed the recommended doses of one capsule per every 6" square.
So when you say "capsule", are you putting into the empty (drug) capsules, several in one, or do you mean literally one little round ball per 6"?

I have read about buying empty capsules and filling them up, then using as a root tab. It actually sounds rather easy (whereas the little balls and placing them one by one sound a little like Chinese water torture).

So how about iron? Seachem seems to say daily, but they don't distinguish by high-tech vs. low, at least that I have seen. They also say their iron is chelated and quickly absorbed -- is it the kind of thing needed daily?

Or are you saying that with osmecote+ I don't need that at all?

Opinions on Excel's need?

Questions... so many questions.... sorry.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have a 65g low tech that I use modified ei. I stared at half the ei dose listed for my tank and modify the dosage as I see deficiencies. I also am now usig home made root tabs to match my nutrient requirements.
I use metrocide(commercially available glute that is much much cheaper then excel but same thing) only for algae control.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I meant that you can buy the capsules already filled from here or DIY them yourself
and use them the same as root tabs at one every 6" square. But I use just those individual beads. Would be Chinese water torture except for it being in a 10g/w only using about 12-16 beads...LOL...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168153
I use Excel but in a 220g tank I wouldn't want to pay for yours. Seems easier to control algae by reducing the light. I want to discontinue it because I like GSA and don't so much like Cladophora. Problem is that it works much better on GSA and hardly
at all on Cladophora so now I have reduced my light to see how that effects the Cladophora(and the plants).

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Raymond, found some of the size 0 caps which may be a bit big, but I can half fill them and give it a try.

Metrocide, Jeepguy, thanks -- will look at that, at least for my other thank, and this one if I decide to use it.

Linwood

Latest tank build:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode