RO water ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My tap water pH is very high at around 8-9.. In general i have started having some "doubt" over PURITY of tap water in our part of india especially during monsoon..

Hence I am thinking of making weekly wc with only RO water and balancing KH GH with NaHCO3 and CaCl2.2H2O + MgSO4.7H2O

Is this a good idea ? Is there any thing else I need to add in RO water like any"minerals" ? What is that to add if so ?

Please tell me if weekly WC with only RO water is good or not ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

-AqEnthusiast

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (150 L, ~40 G) | EHEIM 2217 | SunSun 110 water circulation | ADA Amazonia | 4x54w GE StarCoat 6500k T5HO 6 hrs photo | pressurised CO2 start stop one hour before photo | CO2 reactor to canister outlet | EI alternate (kno3+kh2po4+k2so4) and (csm+b) | Weekly 50% wc with Seachem Safe | MgSO4.7H2O + CaCl2.2H2O and NaHCO3 at wc to maintain kh gh at around 4 and 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have similarly hard water and use RO but mix in some tap to give it some minerals and buffers to prevent ph problems and to keep cost down.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The materials you list are fine. Are you also using other fertilizers in the tank? Fish food supplies a lot of the minerals, but not all.
I would make sure the tank is getting enough potassium (potassium bicarbonate can be used to supply the carbonates), and iron.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks diana and thenoob for the updates..

The ones I mentioned are for kh gh.. For sure I am using EI alternate so KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4 and CSM+B are also getting added..

So is there anything else I need to add in RO water..

Also I will be buying RO equipment which will be used only for this weekly wc (never had RO machine so I have no idea of its operations).. I read this needs periodic membrane replacement ? How frequent that could be? . . How is the experience on this? What kind of RO machine one should have?

-AqEnthusiast

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (150 L, ~40 G) | EHEIM 2217 | SunSun 110 water circulation | ADA Amazonia | 4x54w GE StarCoat 6500k T5HO 6 hrs photo | pressurised CO2 start stop one hour before photo | CO2 reactor to canister outlet | EI alternate (kno3+kh2po4+k2so4) and (csm+b) | Weekly 50% wc with Seachem Safe | MgSO4.7H2O + CaCl2.2H2O and NaHCO3 at wc to maintain kh gh at around 4 and 6
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you can get a TDS meter, then check your RO water with that. When the equipment is new the TDS meter ought to read under 10 ppm, probably 1-5 ppm.
As the membrane ages it lets more 'stuff' through, and the TDS will start rising.
You make the call, but when the membrane is letting more stuff through that is a suggestion that it is time to get a new membrane.

RO filters do not work so well when there is a lot of calcium in the water. Somehow this clogs the membrane and is hard to get rid of.
If your water is high in calcium you might look into a water softener to get rid of the calcium, first. Usually this would be a sodium exchange water softener. RO filters can handle sodium better (they last longer).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks diana for the inputs..

I have TDS meter and atleast I can measure my tap water TDS as i don't have RO unit yet. .

My tap water TDS says 80 ppm.. What does that mean ? Good bad ugly ?

-AqEnthusiast

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode