Need suggestions on liquid fertilizers. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need suggestions on liquid fertilizers.

Hi guys i recently joined this forum and learned so many things. I am new to this hobby and i am planning to buy a liquid fertilizer (micro and macro) the fertilizer i am about to buy contains:
Macro Nutrients - A mixture of N,P,K,Mg,S,Ca.. And
Micro Nutrients - A mixture of Fe, Min, Zn, Cu, B, Mo, Ci etc.
So i wanna know are those above mixture ok?
tank - 24x12x18 in inches.
lighting - 1 36w pll.
plants - amazon swords, star grass and ambulia.
fished - neon tetras and otos.
Tank setup just 2 weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Well Macro's contain only 3 nutrients which is the Nitrogen, Phosphate, K = potassium.

Magnesium, calcium, iron, boron, etc... are micro nutrients; Now it will depend on the source of nitrogen, for instance potassium nitrate KNO3, or calcium nitrate ca(no3)2, or even magnesium nitrate Mg(NO3)2.

Most people here in the US use potassium nitrate for their source of nitrogen, but other countries may have it banned so people their go with calcium nitrate as their nitrogen source. So it all depends on what's legal, and readily available in your country...

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so i just went througj all the information and i am a bit confused. can anyone tell me the exact chemicals needed for macro and micro. because i am about to buy dry fertilizers.. please also tell me their mixture like how much and what to mix in macro and micro and their dosage.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most of this info is in the sticky at the top of this forum. Look into the Estimative Index method.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

KNO3 is a good source of nitrogen and potassium.
KH2PO4 is a good source of phosphorus, but is dosed in such small amounts that it is not usually thought of as a source of potassium.
K2SO4 is a good source of potassium. If you have a lot of fish, and are adding a lot of nitrogen to the tank in the form of fish food you might not want to add so much KNO3. That would also mean the tank is not getting enough potassium. So K2SO4 is a good source of potassium without the nitrogen.
These 3 are agricultural chemicals, used for fertilizer in the fields.

Good materials for trace minerals include:
Plantex CSM+B. This one is dosed at about the same rate as the KH2PO4 if you are following the EI method.
I think Tropica makes a liquid that is very high in trace minerals. Tropica products are not very available here (USA) but they might be available to you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Most of this info is in the sticky at the top of this forum. Look into the Estimative Index method.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

KNO3 is a good source of nitrogen and potassium.
KH2PO4 is a good source of phosphorus, but is dosed in such small amounts that it is not usually thought of as a source of potassium.
K2SO4 is a good source of potassium. If you have a lot of fish, and are adding a lot of nitrogen to the tank in the form of fish food you might not want to add so much KNO3. That would also mean the tank is not getting enough potassium. So K2SO4 is a good source of potassium without the nitrogen.
These 3 are agricultural chemicals, used for fertilizer in the fields.

Good materials for trace minerals include:
Plantex CSM+B. This one is dosed at about the same rate as the KH2PO4 if you are following the EI method.
I think Tropica makes a liquid that is very high in trace minerals. Tropica products are not very available here (USA) but they might be available to you.
Thank you so much for clearing my doubts Diana.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode