Please advise: potassium deficiency, can't win!??!?!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please advise: potassium deficiency, can't win!??!?!?

Okay so I have some great growth from my low tech tank. my plants show great color and i really don't have any algae in my tank.

I don't dose co2 or excel. I have finnex planted plus 21" above the substrate running for 8 hours a day. I dose modified EI. I have some root tabs that are DIY but I go lightly with them.

I have a full stock of different fish. approx 100% according to aqadvisor.

Plants that are showing potassium deficiencies are hygro kompact, hygro polysperma, and Hygrophila Polysperma Tiger.

Pin holes with yellowish around the hole that start small and go big. I am 99% sure this is potassium deficient. I have a 75g, 60g is what i figure water volume to be. I use "Yet Another Nutrient Calculator"
http://calc.petalphile.com/

I figured with my dose of .5 tsp 2x a week I am roughly 12.5ppm K, I thought this was going to be enough but I still appear to be having issues but not as severe.

How much potassium should I aim for? maybe closer to 30ppm? or does this sound like something else is causing the problem? I don't mind bumping the dose but scared to Overdose.

thanks.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sounds to me like you are still way under the amount you need in there.
Based on this: I have two 10g tanks. I did the calculator for EI Low light/weekly
and it gave me 1/4 tsp KNO3. Mind you in a once a week dose the amount is larger because that one dose must supply all the KNO3 and not just a percent of it.
So what is it that you modified ? At first glance it would seem that you just omited
one dose from a three dose schedual. If I compare that to what the calculator said for a 10g tank dose it doesn't come to even half of what it could be.
But instead of that eye ball figuring if you just didn't omit that third dose, how can it be overdosing ?
@ 3x 1/2 tsp you are still short, though not by so much, of a 6.5 times that 1/4 tsp dose for the 10g which is listed as a "light" dose.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't dose kno3 because of my fish load.

I guess I just need to suck it up and start dosing more K, thanks for giving it toe straight

I will aim for 25-30ppm and see how things go. Keep you posted.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Another question, if I am dosing let's say 15ppm k a week and I am still seeing deficiencies like I do now. Does this mean all my k is being used up? Or dose it mean I need to maintain a high k value over the week?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
That Compact Corymbosa is a heavy root feeder. Id make sure those had root tabs, regardless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

So if you don't dose KNO3 then what way is K being dosed ?
When I was doing that EI Low light/weekly I found that my nitrates were high so I substituted K2SO4 I think it was which eliminated the NO3 and reduced the nitrates.
Why don't you list which nutrients you ARE dosing in the Macros.
Another question just entered my mind on this...have you gotten high nitrate readings ?
If not, what would make you think you need to eliminate the KNO3 ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i don't dose kno3 because i already get enough nitrates through my fish waste.

i dose k2s04 which is potassium and kh2po4 which is mono potassium phosphate

through fish waste i generate around 10-20 nitrates per week

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The very little amount of KH2PO4 has a seriously small amount of Potassium in it but if you use K2SO4 then it should be equal to the KNO3 in Potassium.
According to Zapins(and so far I have no reason to doubt him) any nutrient that runs out will stop plant growth. So I think you will notice an improvement if you bring it up to what you said(the Potassium). But remember old leaves don't get repaired. It's the new ones that will show the improvement. A couple of people on here have a list of the amounts of each nutrient and it's recommended amounts in PPM.
Perhaps you could post a question saying you are looking for that list and check it on the Potassium before you do this just because.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

From my dose of kh2po4 I only get around 3.5ppm of K and my dose for f k2so4 is 6.15ppm of K so times both by 2 and add gives me 20ish ppm of K per week.

I am going to double up k2so4 which will bring my K up to 31ish ppm per week and see how that goes. If still not enough I will up it again

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...02#post6549202

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well my current dose of around 20ppm k is not enough so I am aiming for 30ppm now.

The phosphates I am fine and no3 I am fine

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The K2SO4 dose you were using is MORE than enough potassium for a non Co2 tank. If you indeed were dosing 15 ppm per week it isn't a K deficiency. I wouldn't bother upping the K2SO4 dose.

Do you have any inhabitants that are capable of causing the holes such as plecos, nerites etc.?

A Finnex planted plus for a non CO2 tank is a lot of light. You may try reducing the light by raising it or placing screen between it and the tank. This will lower the CO2 demand and possibly correct your problem. Another thing would be to ensure you have adequate water flow throughout the tank.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have tons of flow so its not that, I also have my light raised to 21" above the substrate from the original 17". I have zero algae issues and if the light was too intense I am sire gsa thread or hair algae would be back like it was before.

I appreciate your advice but my non co2 is like nothing else . it grows plants that otherwise would die in a normal low tech and the grow is very fast compared to other low techs.

I am almost certain its potassium. It won't hurt to push a bit more ppm for a couple weeks. If its not potassium I have no clue what else it would be.

Co2 deficiencies would show on more than just those few plants. But those plants are know potassium hogs.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have no problem with people disagreeing. It's actually quite refreshing . I dose less potassium than you in a high light/CO2 injected tank. No problems. I have also kept several hygros in those conditions.

If your car quits running and you think it's out of gas adding gas should make it start. If it doesn't, then adding more gas won't change anything. The analogy is very similar here.

I have had problems with hygros in non co2 tanks dropping lower leaves and developing holes. It wasn't potassium though. I lowered light and it went away. I would be willing to bet if I had added CO2 or even Excel the same thing would have happened. Just food for thought. We shall see
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well if this next bump to 30ish ppm doesn't fix this hole or show signs of improvement I will have to agree that co2 is the culprit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode