Dry ferts, does this look good for low tech? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dry ferts, does this look good for low tech?

Yes, I am sorry, another dry fert question. I know nothing about them, but have been reading up and I want to make sure this sounds right. I know every tank is different, and you have to watch the plants, but I need a start point. This is for a 20 gallon, low to mid light, no co2, medium planted at the moment. I will then adjust for my smaller and larger tanks.

500 ml bottle with dose of 5 ml a week.
KNO3 123 grams
K2SO4 168 grams
KH2PO4 10 grams

Plantex CSM+B 23 grams (in different 500 ml bottle)

Since I am a beginner, I went for a package that contained all of these, as opposed to buying each. I figure I will learn what I need and don't need as I go, and can re-buy what I use.

I have been using Flourish comp, but decided to give this a try as my Hygro is loosing leaves, and getting holes. I assume that is a potassium deficiency
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
There are fertilizer calculators available that will tell you how much your dosing will increase the ppm's of the various nutrients. I don't have one with me right now but most likely you can google something. So instead of saying whether it is too much or too little, which depends on your tank/lowlight/noCO2, I will have just a few random thoughts...

1) Unless your water has nitrates in it, I would usually dose less K2SO4 than KNO3. Why? Works for me. Hard to measure K. Some of the EI fans don't dose any K2SO4, others double up. Whatever works for your situation.

2) Don't hesitate to buy a liquid test kit for N and P and do some testing in the beginning, to get a feeling for how plants use up nutrients in your tank, and whether they needlessly accumulate. Some tap waters contain N and/or P, knowing that is helpful in adjusting your dosing.

3) Regarding symptoms, Hygros losing leaves could also be light-related. In very low light, fast growers tend to shed their lower leaves faster, trying to reach the surface closer to the lights. Hard to say without more details, so just throwing this in as fodder for thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Wasserpest gave good advise.

The amounts you listed are not accurate.

This is a quote from this thread. The amounts are for full EI dosing.
Quote:
5ml/20 Gallons

KNO3 93 gm (approximately 17 3/4 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 14 gm (approximately 2 1/2 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 58 gm (approximately 13 1/2 teaspoons)
Optional: K2SO4 38 gm (approximately 6 teaspoons)
Full EI dosing is for high light and CO2 injected tanks. Nutrient uptake will be far less for low to medium light and no CO2, maybe 1/10th of EI.

Before deciding on a dosing regime what do you want/expect? Generally, the more you dose the higher the maintenance requirements are as well as needing more equipment. Going low tech requires less maintenance but you also get far less growth. There are many options in between.

Deciding what your goal is first will lead to far less aggravation in the future.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thank you both for your replies. I am glad I waited to mix. I had used one of the calculators found online and it just didn't seem right, that's why I figured I would ask.

I am going low tech, so I only plan on dosing once a week, and I don't want to do 50% water changes. I usually do 25-30%. I am not going for high growth but would like to keep my plants looking healthy and have some growth. I plan on keeping Celestial Pearl Danio's and maybe Ember tetras, so I figured the bioload wouldn't be enough for the plants, so that's why I figured I would add ferts.

Zorfox- After looking at your charts for EI dosing, I can plainly see that mine are WAY off. I think I will just use your numbers, reduced for low to medium light. I will start with 1/10 and see what happens. I can then go up from there.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can dose non-limiting nutrients in a low tech tank. However, you may find this article by Tom Barr more useful with your current setup and goals. Non CO2 methods

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode