KH and Safe-T-Sorb - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
KH and Safe-T-Sorb

I just did my 40B with 40lbs of Safe-T-Sorb, normally my kh is around 3 and my GH is a little higher 4 or 5. I mix tap water with RO water to get it like this. Out of the tap KH is I think 19 and GH 21, I'm not really sure haven't tested it for a couple months.

Before with flourite my kh/GH would never change. Now my GH still remains constant but my KH is bottoming out to 0. I added 1, 1/4 tsp baking soda to get the KH up to 2-3 yesterday. Tested and it was at 3. I tested it today after I got home and it was at 0 again.

I added more baking soda, my question is, will this fluctuation in KH hurt my fish?

How long will this go on for?

Should I add more baking soda then 2-3 degrees worth?

Last edited by latchdan; 08-19-2014 at 01:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've used STS in a few tanks and it is a KH hog. I recently read (can't remember who but it was here) and they said that it may keep sucking carbonates out of the water for years!!

I haven't noticed my fish or plants having a problem with the STS, snails on the other hand... I'm not adjusting anything, that's too much of a game. I have a grow out tank with just STS and plants and Ramshorns. Those are not nice shells, and once the snail dies the shell just keeps dissolving.

Possibly check posts by 'Diana'.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, STS removes KH.

I use potassium bicarbonate to add the carbonates back in.
A change of about 2 German degrees of hardness (and the resulting change in pH) is not a problem for fish. More than that might be, though, so alter it a little every day, not a larger change once a week

I used baking soda for many years with Soil Master Select (pretty much the same material as Safe T Sorb). 1 tsp baking soda per 30 gallon tank = 2dKH, and would raise the pH from 'off the chart low' to 6.2 and I would do just that much a couple of times per week. I do not know where that substrate ended up, I have moved the tanks around so much, but I do have several tanks that seem to have stabilized.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I wanted to give a little update on my safe-T-Sorb tank since its been about a month since last post.

I've been adding around 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda daily to keep my KH 3-4. I've also increased the tap water to RO ratio by 1/5.

I also found out that my GH was bottoming out as well so I started adding 1/4 teaspoon of seachem equilibrium.

I believe the STS is slowing down a bit I checked my KH/GH today and they both were around 4 so I didn't add any baking soda/equilibrium. I'll check it tomorrow to see if anything has really changed much. I may have to just add baking soda/equilibrium every other day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You could also try using coral sand in the filter. A nylon stocking of coral sand is easy to remove if it is not doing the job, or is over doing it.
I have a tank that is a blend of Turface (Similar to STS) and coral sand, and it is stable, but harder water. It is roughly 50/50.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just wanted to give an update, after 4 months my safe-t-sorb doesn't seem to be absorbing my KH/GH at a crazy rate anymore.

My KH and GH are a staying between 3-4 degrees with just water changes now.

Wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that was wondering how long it will absorb for. I used 1 bag in my 40B

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode