Water Hardness - dumb, but quick, question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Hardness - dumb, but quick, question

Please tell me if I'm right about this:

So, this is from my cities' water report.

Hardness (ppm) 46
Hardness (grains/gallon) 2.7

This is from wikipedia.

1 dGH = 1.042645169
&
1 dGH corresponds to 17.848ppm

So, It looks like the grains/gallon is roughly equivalent to Degrees of General Hardness.

My question is Degrees of General Hardness the general term that we use around here when speaking of water hardness?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- three years old at this point

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 PM
gmh
Planted Member

It does help to specify which measure one is using. Sometimes a user will say his hardness is 10 or whatever and I'm not sure which whether he means dGH or ppm.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Trusting a city's water report is the first thing I would alter. Just because it is at one level where they tested it does not mean that all the pipes and passages between there and your tap don't alter levels.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh View Post
It does help to specify which measure one is using. Sometimes a user will say his hardness is 10 or whatever and I'm not sure which whether he means dGH or ppm.
Yeah, I think there's also KH, which I've heard people talk about, but I don't' really know how these (or if) work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShrimpDoc View Post
Trusting a city's water report is the first thing I would alter. Just because it is at one level where they tested it does not mean that all the pipes and passages between there and your tap don't alter levels.

well, If I read the report right, these are averages from user's water sources. Anything dangerous (or potentially) was listed as highest detected. I live on a big aquifer.

but you're absolutely right. There could even been pretty big differences between the street and my tap. It's probably a good enough estimation for me though.

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:08 AM
gmh
Planted Member

Yeah, it's likely you have soft water. lucky you.
kh is measured in the same way as gh, by the way.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Both GH and KH are commonly reported in either of 2 formats when you are talking about aquariums, and most people can relate to both.

German degrees of hardness, abbreviated dGH and dKH.
Parts per million, abbreviated ppm, and you need to specify GH or KH.

There are 17.9 ppm in one German degree of hardness.

For a really quick translation, I usually think of that as 20.
So if the GH is reported as 100 ppm, I would instantly say, Oh, not too far off 5 dGH. Fairly soft water. But if I use the calculator it is closer to 5.6, which is still fairly soft.

Test strips usually show ppm.
Test tube and reagent tests usually result in German degrees of hardness.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you that is very helpful. I'm more of a technical guy and am pretty ignorant when it comes to some of this stuff. You all have helped me wrap my mind around this a little better and clear up some questions I still had.

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode