Mixing Macro Dry Ferts and making a liquid solution - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mixing Macro Dry Ferts and making a liquid solution

I have never done this and I wanted to know if this will work.

I know people mention that is it safe to mix macros so can I simply mix my dry Nitrate and Phosphate fert and then mix them as one solution OR do people make 2 separate solution first then mix them into one solution.

Bottom line is I am using a 3 pump dosing pump and instead of using a separate bottle for N and P I was hoping to make one solution for N and P and free up one pump so I can automate my Iron liquid ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can mix the two. Just dissolve one completely in distilled water first, then dissolve the other.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx165 View Post
You can mix the two. Just dissolve one completely in distilled water first, then dissolve the other.
So mix the dry fert #1 with the distilled water then mix dry fert #2 after.

I'll try this out and see if this will work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have pretty good tap water, so I just use that. Dump in all the ferts (One bottle = macros, second bottle = micros), then add some gluteraldehyde, some water. Shake. A lot. Then top it off with water.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I have pretty good tap water, so I just use that. Dump in all the ferts (One bottle = macros, second bottle = micros), then add some gluteraldehyde, some water. Shake. A lot. Then top it off with water.
This really isn't a good recommendation. You can have great tap for an aquarium, but if its not close to 0 dissolved solids, precipitates can form in your mix and mess things up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx165 View Post
This really isn't a good recommendation. You can have great tap for an aquarium, but if its not close to 0 dissolved solids, precipitates can form in your mix and mess things up.
What causes the precipitation if you have higher TDS?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
What causes the precipitation if you have higher TDS?
Calcium reacting with phosphates for one, and if the water already contains nitrates or phosphates, mixing a concentrated solution in the desired dosing container becomes more difficult
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
For calcium and phosphate to precipitate the concentrations have to be much higher than one would find in tap water. Many parental nutritions in medicine use calcium and phosphorus together. There are a few things to prevent precipitation. Keeping the concentration ratio greater than 2:1 (calcium:phosphorus), never exceeding a total of 45 meq/l which is roughly 1350ppm of calcium and phosphorus and keeping the PH less than 6.0.

The ratio of calcium to phosphorus if using tap water high in calcium will be far greater than 2:1. This alone will eliminate the need to keep the solution under 1,350ppm. Adding a couple of teaspoons of vinegar will reduce the PH below 6.0 which allows for less reactions and maintains the integrity of the chelates used in the micro mix due to destroying the carbonates.

The concentration of nitrate or phosphate in water is basically insignificant when mixing nutrient solutions. Take nitrate for example,

Lets say your tap water is very high at 40ppm. If we want to raise 500ml of R/O DI water to 40ppm we can add 32.61mg of KNO3. Nutrient solutions have VERY high concentrations. To make a solution dosed at 5ml/10gallons we add 12.3 grams of KNO3. The nitrate in the tap water at 40ppm would be roughly 0.3% of the total NO3. The total concentration of the solution is about 15,000ppm of NO3.

I don't mean to beat you up here. I asked this in case I was unaware of something else. I simply see no major concerns with using tap water other than carbonates reacting with chelates. Vinegar fixes that problem. In a perfect world pure water would be better. However, advice to use tap water is not bad advice IMO. I simply haven't seen any problems using tap water. I've done this for quite awhile without problems and I have high GH and KH.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

Ah, it seems I was misinformed then. Thank you for the info; I suppose I was trying to find answers for why rodi water is preferred for fert solutions, but if you've been successfully using it, then I guess my concerns were unfounded.

Much appreciated!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode