Non co2/excel tank: Anyone else find ei dosing amount to be insufficient?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Non co2/excel tank: Anyone else find ei dosing amount to be insufficient??

Hi there,

I have been running my tank almost 5 months and I would like to this I am at a good understanding of deficiencies. I have a really great balance ATM and next no no algae in the tank ( few spots of gsa on older anubias leaves).

One thing I have tweaking my dosing. I dose dry ferts. No longer dosing kno3 because my fish load is big enough to supply ample nitrates. Currently dosing k2so4 kh2po4 and planted csm+b.

I was told when first starting out that because of my low tech status I should dose a lot less than standard ei. 1/3rd of ei and only once a week. Taking this advise I did just that and now almost 5 months in and a very large plant load I have noticeable potassium deficiencies.

I just upped my k2so4 dose to 1/2 tsp 2 x a week in hope that this will help. Also due to the few spots of gsa I decided to up my kh2po4 to 1/4tsp 2 x a week.

I am curious how many of you have found that dosing ei amounts to still leave you hanging on some things.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Normally, if you are dosing EI following the original dosing recommendations, you will never run into a nutrient deficiency.

With your altered dosing regimen, it may have sufficed at first, but now with your large plant load, you are finding that you have a potassium deficiency (does not really come as a surprise).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Likely not an issue of deficiency in the ferts, rather, CO2 competition with other plant species, too much light etc.

PO4 should build and N should be the most limiting fert, so yellowing of the faster green plants, floating species etc is far more typical.

With Excel, I would dose KNO3.

2x a week dosing is plenty, maybe once a week etc.
1/4 th EI should be fine.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Something similar occurred to me. I use EI method but dose half (less than half to be exact) the dose. My tank is a non CO2 tank, I use Glutaraldehyde (like Excel).

During may-june the tank was highly lit, receiving full daylight and sunlight. Bacopa Caroliniana exploded, but H. Polysperma which before was doing right began show signs of some deficiency.

I suppose it was not competing well for carbon, explanation from Tom seems quite logical. Bacopa in higher light was better at taking up carbon?

Tank was moved in another room with only daylight, and H. polysperma is thriving since then. Bacopa a little less pretty, but doing well.

Fertilization was the same.

Michel, forgive my english.

Plants and algae grower.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I want to get my hands on a phosphate test kit to test where I at. Its either with my photoperiod now at 10 hours the greater growth is creating more of a nutrient demand and I have to adjust. I may be low on phosphates and potassium.

Other option is that I dosing enough phosphates not enough potassium but because of the faster growth I can't provide enough carbon. In which case this means I would need to lower my.photoperiod back to 8-9 hours . this would lower the demand for co2 and hopefully gsa would disappear

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode