carpet plants and the water column - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
carpet plants and the water column

So I have been thinking about this. I'm planning to do an iwugami style 60p. I've been growing a carpet of elocharis sp. mini in a nano tank I have, so I can transfer it into the new tank once its fully set up.

For new my tank, it will mostly be the carpet with a little bit of moss, so the demand on the water column, I think should be very light.

So my question is, do I modify my e.i. dosing to account to diminished water column requirements? Do pure root feeders not draw nutrients at all? Any ideas of how to modify?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Root feeders draw ferts from the water column too, just not in the same quantity as say stem plants do. I don't think anyone can tell you with any certainty how much to reduce your column fertilizing by for hairgrass and moss vs other plants. No one knows exactly what the uptake rate is. This is something you'll discover with observation.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7g cube, 12g long
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Root feeders draw ferts from the water column too, just not in the same quantity as say stem plants do. I don't think anyone can tell you with any certainty how much to reduce your column fertilizing by for hairgrass and moss vs other plants. No one knows exactly what the uptake rate is. This is something you'll discover with observation.
Yeah, you're right.

I guess, my fear is that I've noticed with my nano (planted only), that I've started to get some hair algae and gda. It almost always makes a comeback after I dose micros (I dose to the what the calculator's tell me). I've got my co2 cranking in that tank, so I dont think its a co2 issue. Although correlation does not mean causation, I'm definitely noticing a pattern with when I dose.

I think for my new tank, I will dose macro's normally, and cut back on my micros (and probably switch out the plantex csb for flourish) and see how how it goes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

One piece of sound advice is to only change one thing at a time. This helps you keep track of what may be causing issues. If you increase macros and decrease micros, and switch micro nutrient sources, all at once, and your algae gets worse; you won't know where you went wrong.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long

Last edited by exv152; 08-13-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
One piece of sound advice is to only change one thing at a time. This helps you keep track of what may be causing issues. If you increase macros and decrease micros, and switch micro nutrient sources, and your algae gets worse; you won't know where you went wrong.
i totally agree. but as for me, i normally panic and change a lot of things at once. then its hard to track which did what.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 AM
Algae Grower

Weird, I asked an almost identical question on Barr report after reading this article : http://www.aquariss.net/intervjui/en...-and-west.html

Check out the part where he mentions that he doesn't dose other than root tabs. Interesting.
I also noticed that I get gda only after I dose micros too. I wonder what the issue could be?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

Bump?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode