increasing KH and GH.. What ingredients I need - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My KH and GH is very low at around 1-2 (it becomes the required colour in just couple of drops).. (It is pressurised CO2 tank and pH is around 6.4-6.6)..

I will sure be understanding properly of what to do for KH GH and I am not going to add anything without understanding this properly. .

But I want to keep ingredients ready so that I can do that once i understand what and how of this (I want to go chemical way)

I have collected below for GH:

CaCl2.2H2O

MgSO4.7H2O

but I don't know for increasing KH what should I have.. Should that be CaCO3 or NaHCO3 ?

Please let me know. .

-AqEnthusiast

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (150 L, ~40 G) | EHEIM 2217 | SunSun 110 water circulation | ADA Amazonia | 4x54w GE StarCoat 6500k T5HO 6 hrs photo | pressurised CO2 start stop one hour before photo | CO2 reactor to canister outlet | EI alternate (kno3+kh2po4+k2so4) and (csm+b) | Weekly 50% wc with Seachem Safe | MgSO4.7H2O + CaCl2.2H2O and NaHCO3 at wc to maintain kh gh at around 4 and 6

Last edited by aqenthusiast; 08-12-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you have low KH and GH, why do you want to change that? That's ideal for plant growth/nutrient uptake. I would not mess with the water's natural hardness. Some of those things you listed like NaHCO3 can be deadly to your fish if you add just a bit too much because will cause the pH to swing suddenly.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7g cube, 12g long
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can mix the CaCl2.2H2O and MgSO4.7H2O at a ratio of 3:1 to make a basic GH booster. Dose enough of that at water change to keep GH in the 3-5 range. This will ensure you plants won't run out of calcium or magnesium.

I typically would not worry about a KH of 2. The plants will do fine with that. It can make measuring CO2 a little more difficult. Adding enough NaHCO3 to target about 5 degrees KH is fine. I would try and prepare the water prior to adding it to the tank if you have sensitive fish or invertebrates.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Many thanks exv for the precaution. . That is why said I am going to be careful in this understanding before adding. . But need to understand and have atleast the ingredients. . At more than few places I read little harder water is better for plants' over all flora..

Thanks zorfox for the information. .

I am chemically challenged and don't understand molecular weight calculations. .

What I need is something like x gms of y will increase z litre of water by 1dGH / dKH according to what is added. .

Searched for this a lot and below is what I could collate:

1/2 teaspoon of NaHCO3 in 100 ltr water makes that water +1dKH

which was translated in NaHCO3 grams to:

2.4 gms of NaHCO3 in 100 ltr water makes that water +1dKH

And

~2 gms of CaCl2.2H2O and 0.88 gms of MgSO4.7H2O in 100 ltr water makes that water +1dGH

And in those proportions to increase kh / gh as necessary. .

I collated this from below:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...cl2-mgso4.html

this part in above:

"

To raise gH by 1 dgH in 1 gallon of water using calcium chloride dihydrate and magnesium sulfate heptahydrate while maintainig a 4:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium cations:

- Add 0.07939grams of CaCl2*2H2O
- Add 0.03328grams of MgSO4*7H2O

For 55 gallons, this would be 4.37 grams CaCl2*2H2O and 1.83 grams of MgSO4*7H2O.
"

i converted gallon to litres by 1 g = ~3.78 ltr

and

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/waterchemistry.htm

this part in above:

"

One teaspoon of baking soda added to 50 liters of water can raise the kH of the water by approx 4 deg dH

"

and i convered 1 teaspoon of NaHCO3 = 4.8 gms from below:

http://www.foodista.com/question/WTM...of-baking-soda

above are important points for me too understand as to what to add for how much for the need. .

please let me know if my understanding is correct or not as understood from above..

-AqEnthusiast

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (150 L, ~40 G) | EHEIM 2217 | SunSun 110 water circulation | ADA Amazonia | 4x54w GE StarCoat 6500k T5HO 6 hrs photo | pressurised CO2 start stop one hour before photo | CO2 reactor to canister outlet | EI alternate (kno3+kh2po4+k2so4) and (csm+b) | Weekly 50% wc with Seachem Safe | MgSO4.7H2O + CaCl2.2H2O and NaHCO3 at wc to maintain kh gh at around 4 and 6

Last edited by aqenthusiast; 08-13-2014 at 07:40 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Your understanding looks good. However, you can also simply use this calculator. It does the calculations for you. No need to become a chemist just to fertilize your tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks zorfox for the updates

Yes I want to use such a calculator and I use below one for my EI dosage:

http://calc.petalphile.com

I think it's similar but what I could not understand is that these calculators are not giving options for example say NaHCO3.. I could not find that in the list. . Am I missing something in how to use these calculators ?

-AqEnthusiast

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode