Local Water Analysis Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Local Water Analysis Help

Hey guys, first time aquarist here and I could use some help on my local water readings (Dover, Kent. UK). I am planning on dosing EI daily once my aquarium is set up.

My water is classed as ''VERY HARD'' (not surprising considering I live on top of chalky cliffs!) Do I need to tackle this high level?

Also what do the other readings look like? Is there anything I will need more of or less of when I dose?

Set up consists of 100L tank with medium light (72W CFL) and DIY Co2. Will be quite heavily planted with HC as carpet hopefully. Pool Filter Sand as the only substrate. Haven't chosen fish yet, will be the last thing I decide on once the tank is planted.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water parameters.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	355897  

Click image for larger version

Name:	water hardness.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	355913  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile pH, KH? Looks Good... So Far...

Hi,

Your water is very hard and Calcium makes up nearly all of it and good high Nitrates.

Going with livebearers, hard water critters and plants, no need for Calcium or Nitrate dosing; generally, it looks like good water.

Do you know the pH and KH (or Alkalinity)?

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply! I don't know the ph or kh yet but when I find them out what would low reading mean and what would high readings mean? I'm guessing it's more alkaline due to the hardness of it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Interesting to see a report from other countries. first thing I spotted was the chlorine allowed. Rather surprised to see no limit on that. In the states it is a very hotly debated item and regs call for it to be carefully controlled between 3 and 10 PPM. I'm reading it wrong or totally different outlook??
For PH 7.0 is called "neutral" and as a guess I might expect your water to test out as 7.8 or so. But then that is a guess!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Interesting to see a report from other countries. first thing I spotted was the chlorine allowed. Rather surprised to see no limit on that. In the states it is a very hotly debated item and regs call for it to be carefully controlled between 3 and 10 PPM. I'm reading it wrong or totally different outlook??
For PH 7.0 is called "neutral" and as a guess I might expect your water to test out as 7.8 or so. But then that is a guess!

I don't think chlorine levels are anything which is debated at all here. Not that I'm aware of anyway. Maybe it should be though

Just tested my pH, it's around 7.5ish so you're pretty much right, nice one.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post
Hi,

Your water is very hard and Calcium makes up nearly all of it and good high Nitrates.

Going with livebearers, hard water critters and plants, no need for Calcium or Nitrate dosing; generally, it looks like good water.

Do you know the pH and KH (or Alkalinity)?

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB
Hey, I just measured my pH and KH. pH is around 7.5 and KH is 13 German Degrees. Is that okay? Do I need to do anything to tackle this? Thanks again
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Red face Sorry If Information Offends, I do Not Mean to Offend

Hi graveey,

I think you simply have hard water, unless you are into some sensitive species, your water is just fine. No need to dose Nitrates

PlantedRich, indeed there is much concern about Chlorine in the US, the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) of 1974 had non-enforceable health goals regarding residual disinfectants based on possible health risks and exposure over a lifetime. This led to maximum residual disinfectant level goals (MRDLG). In 1996, SDWA was amended to “balance” risk of disinfection byproducts (DBP) with microbial pathogens.

The EPA established highly enforceable regulations, known as Stage 1 DBP rules, EPA 815-F-98-010, EPA 815-F-98-009, December 1998 called maximum residual disinfectant level (MRDL). Stage 2 DBP rules EPA 815-F-05-003, December 2005 seeks to limit DBP exposure specifically total trihalomethanes (TTHM) and five haloacetic acids (HAA5).

The result is that in the US the MRDL is 4-ppm Chlorine (as Cl2), 4-ppm Chloramine (as Cl2) and 0.8-ppm Chlorine dioxide (as ClO2). It should be noted that generally 0.2-ppm Chlorine is the minimum residual disinfectant required leaving the treatment plant. Any state may set more stringent rules.

The UK operates on a less formal set of rules, while the European Union is moving away from Chlorine entirely.

Not sure, this helps… Oh well… I am part of a group being excoriated for providing additional information, particularly, if it can be documented, in another thread. I mean no harm.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

Tags
ei dosing, hardness, water parameters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode