When to begin PPS pro fertilizing?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When to begin PPS pro fertilizing??

Hi,

I started my first Low Tech. Planted Tank on 8/6/2014.

Tank: Eclipse 3 gallon
Substrate" Eco-Complete
Filter: Tom Mini Internal Filter 45gph
Powerhead:Shiruba
Lighting: T5 F6 Natural Daylight
Plants: Water Wisteria
Broad leaf water sprite
Moneywort
Narrow leaf anacharis
Dwarf sagitteria
Anubias nana
Heavily planted

My plan was to start using PPS Pro Fertilizer from Green Leaf once a week.

This is my first attempt at a planted tank, and thought I would get your thoughts on when to start dosing, before I proceed.

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006_edited-1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	355857  

Last edited by grouperkeys; 08-11-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added substrate used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What substrate are you using? The best idea is to start providing the needed nutrients to the plants as soon as you put them in the tank. But, if you are using ADA Aquasoil, for example, which is loaded with nutrients, you could wait a few weeks before starting to fertilize. It wouldn't hurt to start right away, even with a nutrient loaded substrate.

If you use the EI dosing method instead of PPS you will have far fewer reasons to be concerned about having too much of any fertilizers in the water. See https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

HI,

Thanks for the reply. I have edited my post to include Eco Complete as the substrate used. I guess I had a "senior Moment "

I already have the PPS Pro Ferts. I guess I'll have to be careful with the dosing to prevent over fertilizing.

So you advise starting the ferts immediately? Once a week?

Thanks,
Bill

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperkeys View Post
HI,

Thanks for the reply. I have edited my post to include Eco Complete as the substrate used. I guess I had a "senior Moment "

I already have the PPS Pro Ferts. I guess I'll have to be careful with the dosing to prevent over fertilizing.

So you advise starting the ferts immediately? Once a week?

Thanks,
Bill
If you are following the pps guidelines I believe that they suggest dosing 7 days a week.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi,
Yes they do. I've confused myself with all of the research I've done these past few weeks. I thought I read in a couple of places that in a low tech, very heavily planted tank one should fert once a week, but they may have been referring to more conventional bottled ferts.

I will be following the pps guide lines but might start a bit at the light side in the beginning. Right now I need to start mixing the stuff to get it ready for tomorrow's first dose.

Thank you for your response .

Bill
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
With a low light, no co2 tank you could probably get away with less than daily, but with a heavily planted tank you will probably want to do it more than 1x per week. BTW, you will likely run into more issues by not dosing enough than too much. You really cant add too much assuming you arent dosing crazy amounts. Dosing 2-3x too much will not cause any issues.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is good to know. I just finished mixing my first batch of ferts. Believe it or not, the directions call for adding only 4 drops of the stuff for a 3 gallon tank daily. A ten gallon tank would get 1 ml. I guess I better not use a turkey baster. An eye dropper is probably what they have in mind.

One variable has changed though. The ballast for the light on the hood of the tank has died and a replacement is no longer available. I ordered a Finnex Fugeray planted + clip on 5 watt light. It can be raised or lowered, to hopefully provide the right amount of light for the purpose. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice

Bill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode