Mixing seachem line up of liquid ferts for simplicity and ease. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing seachem line up of liquid ferts for simplicity and ease.

I'm wondering if it is possible to take my schedule dosing of phosporus, pottasium, nitrogen, trace, and iron and just mix them into a single batch.
as in figure out how ml of each I would use in a week and mix them all together so i only have to dose one liquid.

so for example. (not exact ml of each for simplicity)
on tuesday i dose 5ml of each of the following phosphorus, nitrogen, pottasium, trace and iron.
that totals 20ml each month of each. so if each bottle is 200ml i would get 10 months from eachbottle.
mix all 5 bottles into one container, and mix. i would then dose 25ml of mixed solution a week.
would this work? im having great success using all of the individual ferts instead of just plain flourish. my gf is now getting in the higher tech and flourish is not cutting it anymore, but individual bottles and different ml each makes it more than she can handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

nobody has any feedback on this?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Mixing seachem line up of liquid ferts for simplicity and ease.

You can mix your macro together and your micros together but I don't think you can mix the micro and macros together, and if I remember correctly you shouldn't even dose micro and macros on the same day.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ranger View Post
I'm wondering if it is possible to take my schedule dosing of phosporus, pottasium, nitrogen, trace, and iron and just mix them into a single batch.
as in figure out how ml of each I would use in a week and mix them all together so i only have to dose one liquid.

so for example. (not exact ml of each for simplicity)
on tuesday i dose 5ml of each of the following phosphorus, nitrogen, pottasium, trace and iron.
that totals 20ml each month of each. so if each bottle is 200ml i would get 10 months from eachbottle.
mix all 5 bottles into one container, and mix. i would then dose 25ml of mixed solution a week.
would this work? im having great success using all of the individual ferts instead of just plain flourish. my gf is now getting in the higher tech and flourish is not cutting it anymore, but individual bottles and different ml each makes it more than she can handle.

As said above you can mix the macros(npk) together and the trace and iron together but dont mix the trace and iron with the NPK.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
You can mix your macro together and your micros together but I don't think you can mix the micro and macros together, and if I remember correctly you shouldn't even dose micro and macros on the same day.
Well that's actually good to know about not dosing on the same day.
Any info on why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I cannot remember what happens, I think some of the chemicals bind or turn into a different chemical I am not sure though. I believe I read a post by Zorfox about why you should dose both on the same day, and why your shouldn't mix them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ranger View Post
Well that's actually good to know about not dosing on the same day.
Any info on why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I cannot remember what happens, I think some of the chemicals bind or turn into a different chemical I am not sure though. I believe I read a post by Zorfox about why you should dose both on the same day, and why your shouldn't mix them.
Mixing macronutrient and micronutrient stock solutions together is not recommended as the iron in the micronutrient mix can react with free phosphate ions, resulting in a precipitate. This precipitate cannot be used by plants.

Dosing on the same day is permissible, provided you space them out (perhaps a few minutes). This is because the volume of water in the typical aquarium is quite large, resulting in a dilution of many-fold. A small interval is recommended because if dosed immediately one after another, there may be precipitate, visible in the form of a slight haze.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode