Planted.
Eco-complete substrate.
Driftwood.
Some rocks (could be the culprit).
4 HO T5 (2 10k, 1 colormax, 1 6,700).
Running a sterilizer too.
12 gold tetras
6 corys

It's been up and running since Sunday mid-day... 3 days. Added fish on Monday night. They seem to be doing great... eating and looking very happy in a big tank.

However, pH is high... specifically how much? I don't know... test kit is blue. I added some buffer to it last night and it brought it down nicely... but it was back up this morning.

I know fish can survive in a wide pH range, but do I need to be concerned? What will a having a high pH do?

I don't want to remove the rock as I like the layout a lot. But.... should I? Or, can I live with it?

Thank you in advance for any guidance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
well it is important to know exactly what your pH is. Also what kind of rocks did you add to it. Give me a little more information and I will be able to help more haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SparkVillage.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNNVA View Post
90 gallons.
Planted.
Eco-complete substrate.
Driftwood.
Some rocks (could be the culprit).
4 HO T5 (2 10k, 1 colormax, 1 6,700).
Running a sterilizer too.
12 gold tetras
6 corys

It's been up and running since Sunday mid-day... 3 days. Added fish on Monday night. They seem to be doing great... eating and looking very happy in a big tank.

However, pH is high... specifically how much? I don't know... test kit is blue. I added some buffer to it last night and it brought it down nicely... but it was back up this morning.

I know fish can survive in a wide pH range, but do I need to be concerned? What will a having a high pH do?

I don't want to remove the rock as I like the layout a lot. But.... should I? Or, can I live with it?

Thank you in advance for any guidance....
Take the rocks and pour a bit of distilled vinegar on them, if it fizzes ditch the rocks, if not keep them.

Trying to adjust the pH alone by chemical means with buffers, water softening pillows and such is a futile effort, a constant fight. Let the tank cycle and settle, this could take a while yours has only been up a few days, your tank is in a state of flux that hasn't even really started. It was 3 months before my pH started changing on its' own. So long as fish don't start dieing or showing signs of distress, things like swimming at only the surface of the water and looking like they are gasping for air, I wouldn't worry.

It can take several months for the tank to start lining out, I myself have had another member here remind me of this fact just a few days ago. To much to fast can and most likely will kill fish and keep you chasing your tail as it were trying to fix every thing that starts to go wrong, slow but steady, let the tank find its' groove naturally then tweak it here nudge it there to get it where it needs to be

Mean while read around, especially the new tank threads that way when things do start happening (what's called new tank syndrom) that EVERY new tank goes through your ready, prepared, and can take it with a grain of salt and not freak out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your Tank

Hello TX...

Are you testing the water for ammonia and nitrite in addition to pH?

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you have a spare chunk of that rock put it in some water and see what happens. Fill another glass with some of the same water, but nothing else. Test this water right from the tap, then at 24 hours, then at 48 hours.
Test the sample water + rock at the same time.

Some water will come out of the tap with one pH and adjust over a day or two to a higher or lower pH (Can go either way). If this is causing the problem then the glass of water with no rock will show it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Before getting too concerned about the rocks, you will need to know some other things. What is the PH of the tap water and how much KH do you have for buffering are two. If the water is already high PH, adding limestone won't necessarily raise it. If you have a ton of buffering, trying to lower the PH may be a good way to drive yourself (and fish) to an early grave. Buffering by definition means it resists change.
Rather than worry with my high 7.8-8.0 PH with a 250-300+ buffering, I go with the easy way and find it causes me no trouble .
What will kill your fish is trying to deal with parameters which change every time you change water. That can also shrink your wallet and age your brain!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
What the others said... My PH runs about 8.2, but with a KH of 19, there is NO buffering that down. Even mixing half RO with tap water only lowers it for a day or two. But fish adapt for the most part. Living in a less than ideal ph is WAY easier on them than dealing with a ph that is constantly fluctuating because all of the "fixes" don't last or a routine water change brings it back up (until chemicals are added - which bring it down again - see the cycle here?). Test your tap water and if it reads similar to what your tank is reading, it is what it is and your best bet is to just work with it. If your tank is significantly higher, then the rocks could be causing you some issue.

A 3 day old tank with fish (granted, a very low bioload for the tank size) in it already though IS going to go through a cycle where your ammonia and nitrites are going to go up. These two things are far more troublesome to your fish than a high ph. I'd argue that if you see fish in distress at some point, it's more than likely related to the tank cycling and not to the ph. Be sure you are keeping an eye on the ammonia and nitrite readings, and do some reading up on cycling an aquarium. There's lots of good info on it in various threads on TPT already, so I won't rehash them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode