pH is doing weird things - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
pH is doing weird things

Hey fish dudes
I got a 4 month old 10g tank that's been fully cycled and everything the fish i got in it are
8 tetras
1gourami
5 crs

My water parameters are
Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 0-5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: 8.2
So the pH is more on the high end, which is weird because my tap water pH is about 7.2. Im concerned because I'm eventually going to take out the fish and try and breed my crs. I heard they like the water more basic rather than acidic

I always trim dead plant bits and have a fat piece of driftwood in there too. I cant solve this pH mystery. Can some fish bros help me out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you have any rock / stones in the tank? That would raise your PH as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

I have some sandstone rocks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When you tested your tap water, did you leave some out overnight or longer, and test it after it was exposed to the air for 24-48 hours? Some tap water will change pH overnight.

Take samples of everything you have in the tank and put it into separate jars of water.
Test the water when you start, and every few days for a week or more. Have one jar with nothing, just water.
So you will have a jar with some substrate, a jar with a bit of rock, a jar with a bit of driftwood...
If you are adding anything to the water (minerals, pH regulating materials) do separate jars with each of these. Try to figure out the right dose (or run these tests in a larger bucket so you can get something close to the right dose).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

what kind of substrate are you using? certain kinds (ie: argonite sand) will buffer your ph up into the 8 range.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Chili,

Sandstone is more of a slate and usually lowers the pH, not raise it. What is your substrate? Fill your test tube with tank water... cap it don't use your finger, shake, empty and retest. I bet it was contaminated result. Again, don't use your finger as a cap. Especially after you've grubbed dude

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode