Mixing solution for EI - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing solution for EI

Stupid question, but when mixing the Micro and Macro bottles for the EI method, I read that you're suppose to allow the solution dissolve over night.

Is it normal that some of it doesn't dissolve, and just sits at the bottom of the bottle? Shouldn't cause any issues correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
It will throw off your concentration if its not all dissolved. Especially if you dosing level concentration is high per water volume. Just keep shaking it, sometimes you can get it.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Like Gatekeeper said, just keep shaking it. If you can't get it to dissolve completely, just add more water and increase the amount of liquid you dose accordingly.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! Will do

(Retired)

(Retired)

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Which micros are you mixing? If you are mixing k2so4, kh2po4 and kno3 at the full suggested amounts from one of the calculators you will likely have an issue due to too much K.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Which micros are you mixing? If you are mixing k2so4, kh2po4 and kno3 at the full suggested amounts from one of the calculators you will likely have an issue due to too much K.
+1

The maximum amount of K2SO4 you can dissolve at room temperature is 120 grams per liter (about 18 3/4 teaspoons). If you're using KNO3 you don't need to use 100% of the K2SO4 as many suggest since KNO3 provides 63% of the potassium needed for EI dosing. That's usually enough on it's own.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bottle 1: (500 ML)

138g KNO3
21g KH2P04
28g K2S04 (Went less, as suggested by Naja002).

Calculator said 189g of K2S04, but I used 28g instead. I also left out the 575g of MGS04 as the calculator suggested.

Bottle 2: (500 ML)

87g Plantex CSM+B

(Retired)

(Retired)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bottle 1 should have dissolved very well. All of those are well below maximum solubility. Your micro bottle however slightly exceeds the solubility of Plantex. The maximum you can dissolve is 85 grams in 500ml. So I would expect to see undissolved particles in that one. It's close enough not to worry about. I would use it at the same rate you calculated for.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Bottle 1 should have dissolved very well. All of those are well below maximum solubility. Your micro bottle however slightly exceeds the solubility of Plantex. The maximum you can dissolve is 85 grams in 500ml. So I would expect to see undissolved particles in that one. It's close enough not to worry about. I would use it at the same rate you calculated for.
Bottle 1 is almost dissolved fully, but I can still see some that isnt...I doubt it should matter too much though.

Regarding bottle two (micro), I actually provided the wrong numbers. that 85g was based on a 5 ML dosing, but I ended up going with 15 ML dosing using 28g of Plantex. Dissolved nicely

(Retired)

(Retired)

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:

Can you actually get 85 grams of CSM+B to dissolve in 500ml of water? If so what is your process?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Can you actually get 85 grams of CSM+B to dissolve in 500ml of water? If so what is your process?
No I couldn't. I ended up going 28g, using 15 ML per dose instead.

(Retired)

(Retired)

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That should have actually been 85 grams per liter not 500ml.

Of the ingredients in Plantex, Sodium Ferric EDTA is by far the least soluble at about 75 grams per liter. It's also about 51% of the total fertilizer by weight. I had done the calculations before and it came out to that number. The others had solubility ranges from 650 gm/l - 1,200gm/l which raised the number over the solubility of Sodium Ferric.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
+1

The maximum amount of K2SO4 you can dissolve at room temperature is 120 grams per liter (about 18 3/4 teaspoons). If you're using KNO3 you don't need to use 100% of the K2SO4 as many suggest since KNO3 provides 63% of the potassium needed for EI dosing. That's usually enough on it's own.
Green leaf provides a pound of k2S04 with their EI pack. Should it not be used?

Quote:
Green Leaf Aquariums EI pack
Our EI Fert Package Includes:
Micros - Plantex CSM + B - 1 / 2 Pound

Macros - Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - 1 Pound
Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) - 1 / 2 Pound
Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) - 1 Pound
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Green leaf provides a pound of k2S04 with their EI pack. Should it not be used?
The potassium contained in KNO3 (~66%) is usually enough. However, you can certainly use it without problems. If you do, I would use 25% of the doses suggested for EI since most do not account for the potassium contained in KNO3. It's definatley something you want to have on hand just in case.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode