Dosing Non CO2 tank with ferts and Seachem Excel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
Dosing Non CO2 tank with ferts and Seachem Excel

I'm setting up a low tech tank and I want to dose some ferts and excel. I purchased dry ferts from Greenleaf aquariums. I have KNO3 and KH2P04 for macros and I was going to use seachem trace and floushish comprehensive for Micros. Do I have everything I need?

I'm new to adding ferts this is going to be my first attempt. I know there are 3 macros Nitrogen Phosphorus Potassium. What do I use for Potassium?

Is there a dry fert I can use for micro's instead of the seachem line?

Greenleaf aquariums has a bunch of differnet dry ferts and I'm unsure what to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
K is potassium lol so you're covered.

I have 2 low tech / med-high light tanks and dose with the EXACT same ingredients you describe.
Start out slow because if you over-do it algae will conquer you. I find that 1/2 EI works good for me with respect to dry ferts. Full EI dosing is too much for a tank that does not have CO2 injection. With low tech / excel you should not dose full EI.
EI dosing amounts can be found here.

Here is my schedule that has been working for a while:

Macro Day - 1/2 EI dose of KNO3 / KH2PO4 (these 2 should cover your macros)
Micro Day - Recommended dose on bottle of Flourish Comp (5mL / 60gal) / a bit of Trace as well (will cover micros)

Alternate macro and micro days so that dosing occurs every day.

Excel every day (important) - I do 2x the recommended amount personally. My fish don't seem to mind.

50% water change each week

Again, start slow because if your plants don't use it all up algae will...

Also another note - the recommended dose for Flourish Comp says to dose 5mL / 60gal each week. Don't worry about this - you need to do it every other day to give your plants what they need. The bottle does not take into account that you are dosing dry ferts as well...

How big is your tank / what lighting do you have? This will be a big piece in the puzzle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
K is potassium lol so you're covered.

I have 2 low tech / med-high light tanks and dose with the EXACT same ingredients you describe.
Start out slow because if you over-do it algae will conquer you. I find that 1/2 EI works good for me with respect to dry ferts. Full EI dosing is too much for a tank that does not have CO2 injection. With low tech / excel you should not dose full EI.
EI dosing amounts can be found here.

Here is my schedule that has been working for a while:

Macro Day - 1/2 EI dose of KNO3 / KH2PO4 (these 2 should cover your macros)
Micro Day - Recommended dose on bottle of Flourish Comp (5mL / 60gal) / a bit of Trace as well (will cover micros)

Alternate macro and micro days so that dosing occurs every day.

Excel every day (important) - I do 2x the recommended amount personally. My fish don't seem to mind.

50% water change each week

Again, start slow because if your plants don't use it all up algae will...

Also another note - the recommended dose for Flourish Comp says to dose 5mL / 60gal each week. Don't worry about this - you need to do it every other day to give your plants what they need. The bottle does not take into account that you are dosing dry ferts as well...

How big is your tank / what lighting do you have? This will be a big piece in the puzzle
Wow thanks you hit the nail on the head just the answers I was looking for. I have a 38 gallon. I have no plants or fish in it as of yet. I just set it up a few days ago. I think I'm going to plant lightly at first. I'm going to add some crypts anubias bolbitis tiger lotus and java fern from my other set up. It's not a lot of plants. I'm using a Current LED+ fixture.

My other low tech tank is going well but I set this tank up to experiment with ferts since it's smaller. My other tank is a 75 gallon. I just want to see if I can get better growth. I've had the plants in my 75 for close to a year and they grow at a snails pace. My anubias make 1 new leaf every month and a half. A lot of the plants are also showing signs of deficiencies.

Any other tips or suggestions?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Start dosing minimal amounts in your established tank so you get a feel for it. Again - start SLOWLY so nothing goes badly. Make sure you dose macro and micro on different days and you will be fine. you will of course need to keep up with daily excel as well...

Problems (algae) should only arise if:
  • You do not dose both micro and macro on different days
  • You do not keep up with excel
  • You do not keep up with water changes
  • You dose more than the plants can use / get algae (start slow I cannot stress that enough lol)

Do you see deficiencies (yellowing / die-off / etc...) in any of the plants in your 75? What plants are in there?

It's definitely worth spending a bit of $$$ on dry ferts / micros. After starting dosing a few months ago once you start you will never go back lol

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Start dosing minimal amounts in your established tank so you get a feel for it. Again - start SLOWLY so nothing goes badly. Make sure you dose macro and micro on different days and you will be fine. you will of course need to keep up with daily excel as well...

Problems (algae) should only arise if:
  • You do not dose both micro and macro on different days
  • You do not keep up with excel
  • You do not keep up with water changes
  • You dose more than the plants can use / get algae (start slow I cannot stress that enough lol)

Do you see deficiencies (yellowing / die-off / etc...) in any of the plants in your 75? What plants are in there?

It's definitely worth spending a bit of $$$ on dry ferts / micros. After starting dosing a few months ago once you start you will never go back lol
I have anubias crypts bolbitis java fern and a tiger lotus in my 75. The tank is 90% anubias. The tank is practically full of anubias. A lot of the older leaves get holes in them and they look like swiss cheese. I'll take a picture and upload it when I get a chance. It kinda has me perplexed as to whats causing it. I do weekly water changes on the tank. I noticed I have better luck with low tech tanks with less light. I get less algae and less deficiencies.

On the 38 gallon the Current LED+ light I can ajust the brightness settings on it. Should I start with less light when dosing ferts? Or put it on the full setting? Anubias take so long to grow I hate getting algae on them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...ater-led-plus/
Check to see if this is your light or if your light is on here.
A PAR of 25-30 should not get much if any alga on the Anubias leaves. But Oto's like
those big flat leaves of an Anubia plant if it does.
With that range of lght(25-30) you may find that three days of dosing is a bit much.
That level of lighting should not cause hardly any algae unless it is too much ferts
is a possible reason for it. You can always cut back by one dose per week.
The EI light formula just uses one dose per week which is actually just a bit more than each of the three doses used in the regular EI. But you only use it once a week so
it needs to be because it supplies all the nutrients in one dose(one each of micros and macros).
But you should be ableto find your light on there as it's their site. So you can see how high or low you need to turn it. Placing the Anubias under the Lotus for shade will reduce any excess light to it so as to avoid algae.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A shortage of nutrients can lead to algae, but a surplus is highly unlikely to lead to algae. Algae require almost no nutrients to thrive, so you can't possibly starve it out of existence. But, a shortage of nutrients can make the plants un healthy, or slow growing, and that invites algae to start growing.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode