DIY root tabs and Leaf Zone, will it help this tank any? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
Question DIY root tabs and Leaf Zone, will it help this tank any?

Firstly, I'm going to mention how horribly dead nearly all the Forums on the net are. Ever since Facebook got Groups, they have exploded in popularity. However, there's way too many kids, a-holes and dummies out there telling other people how to do things the wrong way. It's depressing and driving me up a wall! I really hope Forums come back strong some time soon!!

I had a 110, 31 inch tall tank. My plants struggled to live in that for a long time. I added upwards of 5-7 inches of sand to get the plants closer to the light, but it didn't help. I've had a few plants totally die-off and after being moved to a new 75g, a few others have died-off as well. Looks like there is no 'hair ripping out' smiley, darn.
Cabomba, hygro, rotala are all gone, had some others I never remember the name of. Rotala made a come back once moved, but suddenly kicked the bucket and there's nothing left. The crypt and java fern are black, chewed up, frozen in time and in general looking golly awful! Even the Jungle val is in this shape. It's been 2mo, I think, since moving to the new tank. Just now I'm seeing the Vals starting to regrow from the base and a couple crypt also coming back.
Tiger Lily is going well and growing quick, hard to see, several baby plants in there, one of which is getting large.
I was using a dry fert mix I got from a member here, idk what it is, I've had it for awhile. But heck has been going on in this tank forever. My other tank, 40 breeder, has been totally dandelion-fine! I just upped that tank into another 75g a few weeks back and all the plants are flourishing and spreading like mad.

Ordered some pills of Osmocote plus and stuck a bunch in the sand, one next to each plant, Leaf zone is still not here yet. Also, I might have an issue with Cory trying to dig up and eat the Osmocote pills....ones in the Right 75 were following my hand and trying to dig up what I just put in...

Lights are on from about 7am to 9pm. No real algae to be seen, other than a touch on the glass or on very old leaves. No C02 and will not be adding it.

What else can I try or what else can cause this to happen?

Dry mix is DPMM or something like that.

Right side 75g, doing great.

Left side 75g, doing terrible.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡

Last edited by secuono; 07-31-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: to edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

See?
Didn't I say Forums are a dead place to be....?
=(

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
What's your lighting on the tank with the plant problems?

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Same as the other tank. Two bulb 4ft shop light, 1 bulb new light that came with the tank and a 2 bulb AquaticLife fixture.

This tank has a couple more fish in it, but slightly larger w/c done every week. Both had no ferts added for the longest time, same plants for the most part. But the one tank suffered, while the other didn't.
Added the root pills and started adding some of the dry mix.

Last year, I had the lights on from 6am to 10pm from spring to fall and had no issues in the 40g, no ferts in it either.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
First off, your light schedule seems a bit long. 14 hours of light is a bit excessive. Secondly, how long has the left 75 gallon been setup? It sounds like you're trying to go the low tech route but it seems that the substrate hasn't quite matured with enough mulm to provide nutrients for the plants. The fast growing weedy stems that you listed most likely starved since you weren't dosing enough. The rooted plants are barely alive since they've gotten nutrients from the substrate. If you add the root tabs and dose the water column, the plants should start showing signs of new growth in a few weeks.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,

Sorry to butt in........but.....

I have seachem flourish root tabs, and excel which i mistook for a water coloum fert, I cant afford another fertaliser bottle at the moment, I have heard tho that the seachem root tabs have the same nutrients as the seachem flourish comprehensive liquid fert'......so.......

Can i shave a root tab into powder (already done), dissolve it in a cup of tank water then add the root tab diy liquid fert to the water coloum to feed the plant leafs???? (i have tabs in the substrate where 'Echinodorus (Rose)' is planted) but my Java fern (Microsorium pteropus green) and java fern coconut bridge (Microsorium Windelov) have free floating roots so the tabs not much effective for them under the substrate.

I know the root tabs should be replaced every 1 -3 months so they are obviously slow released, would adding a root tab liquidised in one go be too much for the plant leafs??

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ronnie (pickled78)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well, the left tank still hasn't changed any. Added the leaf zone, dry fert mix daily as directed on the packet and the root tabs. Zero change, heck, not even the algae is growing...Two light fixtures on that tank are new, one is old. Not sure what to do now. Even stranger, the jungle val in the right tank has also frozen in time. But the curly val has literally taken over 85% of the tank!
Very strange....No idea what to do...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Light intensity drops approximately with the square of the distance from the light. Your tall tank therefore has much lower light intensity than the 75 gallon tank. It probably has less than the minimum intensity needed for plant growth. Adding anything to that tank other than more light will not help at all.

Hoppy
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
[QUOTE=secuono;6437785]Same as the other tank. Two bulb 4ft shop light, 1 bulb new light that came with the tank and a 2 bulb AquaticLife fixture.
Which bulbs are in the light fixtures ?
Does the shop light have a white or chrome reflector ?
Am I understanding this correct...you have 5 bulbs ?
Is the Aquatic light fixture a T5 ?
What bulbs does the shop light use in size(T8 or T5) ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Light intensity drops approximately with the square of the distance from the light. Your tall tank therefore has much lower light intensity than the 75 gallon tank. It probably has less than the minimum intensity needed for plant growth. Adding anything to that tank other than more light will not help at all.
No, they are both 75 gallon tanks, the 110 is gone.

Bump: [quote=Raymond S.;6525506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
Same as the other tank. Two bulb 4ft shop light, 1 bulb new light that came with the tank and a 2 bulb AquaticLife fixture.
Which bulbs are in the light fixtures ?
Does the shop light have a white or chrome reflector ?
Am I understanding this correct...you have 5 bulbs ?
Is the Aquatic light fixture a T5 ?
What bulbs does the shop light use in size(T8 or T5) ?
Heck if I know, I'll go look in a second.
The 40 and a different 75 in the past only had two 4ft shop lights and the plants grew just fine. I can't believe that could really matter any.
Shop lights are only white painted.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok

LEFT 75-
Shop light, white reflector, 2 bulbs, T12
Fish light, metal reflector, 2 bulbs, T5
Petsmart hood that came with tank, metal reflector, 1 bulb, T8

RIGHT 75-
Aquaticlife, metal reflector, 2 bulbs, T5
Growlight, metal reflector, 1 bulb, T5
Petsmart hood that came with tank, metal reflector, 1 bulb, T8

The Fish light was bought at the same store and same time as the Aquaticlife brand light. It had a sticker on it with the brand name, but it's fallen off. So IDK what brand it is anymore.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

LEFT 75

RIGHT 75

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Any person who looks at those two pictures can easilly see a vast difference in the light in each tank. This thread has info about reflectors and how much they count in
your plants getting good or no light.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
There are a few charts on it which tell you how much light you can expect from different types of lights...LED/T5/T8.
The type and brand of bulbs also makes a difference. Type in this case is referring
to names like "Actinic" "Marine" "Reef""Plant" and so on.
Even though it has one less bulb the type of fixtures and bulbs make the light on the right much better than the one on the left.
There is a lot more involved in lighting a planted tank than seeing how many fixtures you can pile on top of the tank. If you doubt it, just switch over the fixtures to the other tank. The ones from the right tank onto the left tank and so on.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No, that can't be it.
Should of just waited longer, looked closer and there's new growth.
Correct answer to this mystery would seem to of been that the severe injury to the plants simply means they will take a long time to recover and start growing again. And that all the dead bits hide any sight of new growth.
Thanks to all who helped out.
The Tiger lily was never effected in any way, mother plant was put into the pond when the 110 was taken down. All the little reds now are baby plants from that giant, they've been growing from the start, even with the other plants dying.
Still a lot of rot and dead ends on java fern, but small section growing in. Couple Vals getting back to the program. Guess I have to cut out all the dead to easily see any new growth.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode