No more osmocote for me - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
No more osmocote for me

I use a few osmocote plus root tabs 5 inches apart maybe 7 total in a 20g high, and the nitrate jumped from 10ppm to 80ppm overnight. I buried them as far down as I could but something went wrong there. I did the proper water change and threw the the osmocote tabs away. I think I'll just use the seachem root tabs next time. So be cautious when using them.
RojoP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't nitrates jump with any fert?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Wow that's strange. Ive never had any problems and I use a ton of them in my 75. What kind of substrate do you have? I know some types tend to house ammonia and such. Is it possible that you released it by disturbing the sub in the burying process?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hunter,

I love osmocote tabs and they do exactly that. Their job is to provide higher levels of nitrate. Plants need nitrogen. My nitrate is always around 60-80 by the time I do my 50% weekly water change. My fish are fine and my plants are thriving. Reconsider. BTW... I hope you did a water change after you dug them out. The three R's that always require a water change replace, remove, relocate.

Best,

Joe
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have eco complete, but I think I know what happened. After I put them yesterday, then I rescaped and few of the pellets floated to the surface, I must've busted the casing. I did 50% water change just this morning as soon I tested the high nitrates. I just now tested again and it's down to 40%, so I'm doing another 50% water change again tomorrow. I would like to have my nitrates around 10ppm. My water change routine is 30% twice a week. I wouldn't mind doing emergency water change, it's just I use 75-25 RO/TAP, so it's a little more work collecting the RO. Anyway, I'm just going to use the seachem root tabs next time to avoid this thing from happening again.
What tipped me off, all the fish are swimming out of sync, and we all know when something is not right, although the RCS didn't seem to be affected. I normally do my water testing once a month, now I need to do it every few days until I'm sure there's no more leaching out of the tabs.
I didn't realize how fragile are the casings, I'm sure the rest of them are buried deep, that should be good for a month.

Last edited by HUNTER; 07-29-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: E
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
I have eco complete, but I think I know what happened. After I put them yesterday, then I rescaped and few of the pellets floated to the surface, I must've busted the casing. I did 50% water change just this morning as soon I tested the high nitrates. I just now tested again and it's down to 40%, so I'm doing another 50% water change again tomorrow. I would like to have my nitrates around 10ppm. My water change routine is 30% twice a week. I wouldn't mind doing emergency water change, it's just I use 75-25 RO/TAP, so it's a little more work collecting the RO. Anyway, I'm just going to use the seachem root tabs next time to avoid this thing from happening again.
What tipped me off, all the fish are swimming out of sync, and we all know when something is not right, although the RCS didn't seem to be affected. I normally do my water testing once a month, now I need to do it every few days until I'm sure there's no more leaching out of the tabs.
I didn't realize how fragile are the casings, I'm sure the rest of them are buried deep, that should be good for a month.
Osmocote is actually good for three to four months. I always remove, relocate, replace plants and add tabs just before my water change and dose liquids right after. Adding tabs one at a time will give you plenty of time before they break down. Many try to add three or four at a time. While they are adding one, the gel caps on the others are breaking down. Hope this helps. Since I started doing a fifty percent water change, I have stopped testing altogether. One week is not long enough to reach dangerous levels of anything when parenting responsibly. I have 150 plus fish and all kinds of shrimp, snails etc. and no worries.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok so I shouldn't have to add tabs for that long then, that's good. I didn't realize how potent those little pellets are. I don't even dose Kno3, just K2So4 and Po4, and my nitrates are consistent at 10ppm, I think that's all I need for plants need.
I wish I can have that many fish.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Planted Tanker

I add them 10-12 at a time in my 75, half the time there's a dozen or two unburied balls lying around because I have a strong tendency to rearrange things, and can be quite lazy when it comes to tiding up. Ive never experienced a nitrate spike. I suppose if you popped a few it could happen, still sounds strange to me though.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I know I've never had that high of a nitrate. I even did a water change when added them, because I replanted a bit. I got the tabs off eBay, maybe they're little different. They're in the trash now.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Planted Tanker

Yeah Ive never gotten them from ebay, they could honestly be anything. Ive always made my own from the actual retail version which I bought myself.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh well, I'll just stick with the regular tabs, only need to replace them once in a while anyway. I just did another 50% water change, was going to wait till tomorrow but I can't stand it not being fixed.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Sorry about your bad experience with Osmocote+ root tabs, as I said before never get them from evilbay because there's just no telling if they truly are Osmocote+. What it sounds like is who ever you got them from is actually using Osmocote Pro 20-4-8 with early nitrogen release which means they release nitrogen faster then the other nutrients, which is probably what caused your nitrate spike.

Because if they had been actual Osmocote Plus root tabs you wouldn't get the nitrate spike, because I go through quite a bit in my 45 gallon tank because my giant Amazon Sword, and crypts and I've never experienced a nitrate spike like that.

It's always best to get Osmocote Plus root tabs from people on this forum because you know you're actually getting Osmocote Plus in the tabs and not something else.

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 07-30-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
I just tested the water. Two days after a 95% WC, NO3=80ppm. I added a lot of O+ to the substrate a couple of months ago, I just poured a bunch of the granules and covered it with up with Floramax and it's still leeching like crazy.

Now I know why I can't grow anything terrestrially in sand with O+; I've been overdosing EVERYTHING! Every plant I've tried to grow has died within a couple of days. Now I know why.

Lesson to be learned: Use Osmocote+ sparingly. A little goes an incredibly long way.
RojoP likes this.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's serious leaching, 95% water change and nitrate still that high? I'm going to test mine everyday now for few days, make sure no surprises.
I always order my stuff from other members whenever I can, little impatient on my part and ordered of eBay instead.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The bummer thing is, they stopped making osmocote plus. I think it was because it offered too much bang for the buck. They'd rather separate the macro from the micro so you end up buying two products.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode