Planted Tank Guru
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
1) What is the GH, KH, pH of the water?
2) What is the goal?
3) If you alter the KH, the pH usually goes down.
4) Easiest way without a RO filter to drop the KH is to blend distilled or RO water purchased in a grocery store with your water.
1) Blend RO or distilled with tap water until both GH and KH are where you want, or they are lower.
2) set the GH first. What does the livestock want?
3) Make the KH equal to the GH.
The pH ought to be pretty close to the right range. For critters from black water systems add peat moss, leaves or driftwood. These plant materials will add the organic acids that these animals like.