pH dropping at night...what to do? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
pH dropping at night...what to do?

So I recently started adding DIY Co2 to my CBS tank to lower the pH, and it has definitely been working. The only thing is that during the day it is between 6.8-7.0, but at night it drops down to like 6.4. Should I be concerned about this? My kH is 2 degrees, but should I raise it to keeping these fluctuations from happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
thats weird, shouldnt the ph drop down during the day and go up at night if your addind co2 during the day and turning it off at night???

edit...ah just realized your using DIY CO2 so you dont turn it off at night. Weird though, if your constantly adding co2 either way the ph should be staying low not increasing right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lamiskool; 07-29-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'll take a crack at it. During the lighting period your plants are taking in C02 and putting off oxygen. At night they do the opposite, take in oxygen and put off C02. So at night your plants are adding C02 further dropping the ph, I say that all on the assumption your diy C02 runs 24/7? Solutions: Remove C02 from the tank at night, run an airstone opposite the lights to gas off C02, or raise your KH to 3-4. That's my best guess.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It does no harm when the pH changes due to CO2. That small change in pH at night isn't worth doing anything about. People who use pressurized CO2, with the CO2 shut off at night, can experience up to about a 1.0 pH drop every morning when the CO2 comes back on, but that never has any effect on the fish or plants.

Hoppy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sometimes I think test kits cause more problems and concerns than they solve. Timers turn my co2 on about an hour before lights and off an hour before dark. 50% water change weekly on a consistent basis.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It does no harm when the pH changes due to CO2. That small change in pH at night isn't worth doing anything about. People who use pressurized CO2, with the CO2 shut off at night, can experience up to about a 1.0 pH drop every morning when the CO2 comes back on, but that never has any effect on the fish or plants.
Thanks, Hoppy, that's what I was wondering. With pH, I usually prefer to err on the side of not doing enough than doing too much...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ditto: Fish handle the pH change due to CO2 just fine. As long as the mineral levels are stable the pH is much less important than people used to think.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I hear that a lot, but I'm breeding shrimp that are more sensitive and need lower pH...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (42/98%)
hi,
If your breeding crs or cbs, I think an active substrate would be much better to control ph and make breeding much easier. Most folks breeding bee shrimp use ada aquasoil and it makes it pretty easy to keep ph inline.
Also sensitive shrimp babies don't do so well with co2. Just my experience. Good luck to you.
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticmonk View Post
Well I hear that a lot, but I'm breeding shrimp that are more sensitive and need lower ph...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Again, I hear this a lot too. Planted Tank people seem to say this a lot. I have read articles from professional shrimp breeders that say otherwise, though. I checked Co2 with a drop checker, and it's blue, so I'm not too worried about it. I do use an active substrate, but it's not very good...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode