Angelfish and water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angelfish and water parameters

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a new 55 gallon tank. Currently, I have a 20 gallon tank (I've had it for 2 years) and I recently added in some live plants. The water parameters in my current tank are as follows:

Nitrate - 20 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Hardness - Very Hard
Alkalinity - 80 ppm (test kit says to add buffer up)
Average PH - ranges between 7.2 to 7.6
Ammonia - 0

I do a 33% weekly water change and my current list fish-friends includes 6 black skirt tetras, 1 cory and 1 pleco (my clown loach died last week, very sad as he was my favorite fish).

My question is this: Can I have very hard water and low alkalinity at the same time? I've tried understanding how alkalinity and water hardness effect each other...but I'm just not getting it.

Eventually, I would like to move my current fish into the new tank plus I would also like to add some angelfish in (maybe 4) and some clown loaches.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me whether or not I should try to adjust the alkalinity of the water and add "buffer up" that would be great. Also, will this lower the hardness of the water or does it even matter? I assume that once the new tank is up and cycled the water parameters in the new tank will be similar to my current tank. This is why I'm wondering if I should worry about the current alkalinity and hardness.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Art

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode