RODI! To DI or not to DI! That is the question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
RODI! To DI or not to DI! That is the question

I have bought a RODI unit and I am unsure of whether I should run the RODI or just run RO?

Thought I would get some opinions from all of you pros!

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
For a planted tank--the RO alone is good enough....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seriously? I've been contemplating selling mine. I have a seriously nice RO/DI that I used to use in my reefkeeping days. For coral reefs, nitrates and more importantly phosphates are a horrible thing to add during a water change. RO/DI was the best way to make sure that nothing like that got into your tank.

In the planted tank world, nitrates and phosphates are something you dose often. I figured that using tap water would be good for planted tanks. No?

I guess it depends on your source water.

Fluval Pimp #3

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Seriously? I've been contemplating selling mine. I have a seriously nice RO/DI that I used to use in my reefkeeping days. For coral reefs, nitrates and more importantly phosphates are a horrible thing to add during a water change. RO/DI was the best way to make sure that nothing like that got into your tank.

In the planted tank world, nitrates and phosphates are something you dose often. I figured that using tap water would be good for planted tanks. No?

I guess it depends on your source water.

Most plants love very soft water. Fert dosing is something we do based upon lighting, C02 and our overall goal. What is in the tap water is often taken into consideration, but not always. Some people have no idea what their tap contains. And tap water varies from source to source.

My opinion is: If you already have the system--hang on to it--you may want to use it. Its not a necessity or anything, but you may want to check out the benefits of very soft water, and you may want to grow some soft water plants. Its better, imo, to have it around collecting dust--then have to go out and buy it again.

I switched from tap to RODI back to tap on my Acrochordus setup, but there were experiments involved there and tap is just much less hassle for me (even though my water is hard).

HTH

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you can drink it without harm...

I like what Rex said below
from this web sight: http://www.rexgrigg.com/waterchem.htm

Rex's Take on Water Chemistry

So long as you are able to drink your tap water without harm it can be used to grow plants. Some
plants may not do as well in extremely soft or hard water but most plants are very adaptable. A pH
anywhere in the 6.4-8.5 range is fine. A general hardness, gH, of 3-15 degrees and a carbonate
hardness, kH, of 3-12 is fine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a RO/DI unit, and I love mine. I wouldn't trade it for the world. One of the few pieces of equipment that I have religiously used for several years now.

DI is good if you have hard water. The resin doesn't last long though. Probably the one media that goes the quickest.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verminthrax View Post
I like what Rex said below
from this web sight: http://www.rexgrigg.com/waterchem.htm

Rex's Take on Water Chemistry

So long as you are able to drink your tap water without harm it can be used to grow plants. Some
plants may not do as well in extremely soft or hard water but most plants are very adaptable. A pH
anywhere in the 6.4-8.5 range is fine. A general hardness, gH, of 3-15 degrees and a carbonate
hardness, kH, of 3-12 is fine.
Folks need to keep in mind that Rex's site is aimed toward newbies. Not really toward folks that have been at this a while. Its got plenty of Good info, but it is not the end-all-be-all of planted tank info. I disagree with some of the things on Rex's site, but I keep in mind that he has done a fantastic job overall and has really taken the load off of community members by allowing us to just link to such a resource.

There's a lot of FW aquarium BS on the net. Rex's site help the new cut through most of the garbage and get straight to the chase....

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
I set up my rack. BuckeyeFieldSupply is who I went with. I shopped and yes there were cheaper units. But not much cheaper if I wanted the pressure gauge. Anyhooo I am happy I went with Russ. It is a very well constructed unit and he seems like a real stand up business owner.

I ran the system thru the RO and my water came out at 6ppm TDS. I set up the DI can but have not really tested it yet. I imagine it would be 0 or very close to it. I really am not planing on running the DI because I really do not see what the advantage would be. I really do not want to buy DI resin if I do not have to. I also imagine that my TDS out of the straight RO will creep up to something a little higher as I run some more water through it.

I plan on getting a 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash can for storage and using some GH booster to get a level of 3 or 4. I think I am just going to disregard the KH level for now and add nothing for it.

Many have discussed why get RO so far. For me it is because I want to try it. I have suspected my tap of some screwy stuff for the last 6 months. The water district here has been adding many new lines and expanding rapidly. I receive my water from a reservoir but now they have just put a new treatment plant on the river and I am pretty sure they will be switching my source water to there in the future. The Water Districts test results are all over the place. Nitrates jump around .....copper jumps around and they do not issue many substances in the report such as Calcium...MG among others. Even in the report some Dates of sample are from 2005? WTH? Not all of them but some such as copper and lead.

This is my reason for it. I want to have some control over my tank water. Wasn't that much money. I will use the waste water for laundry and other stuff as much as possible. Water is expensive here. I pay $80 a month for water now and $45 for sewage. So I will conserve my waste water. My tank is only 40gal. So I should end up with a 80gal or so a week to get rid of. Washer should do that no problem.

I am excited about trying it. I topped off my tank with some tonight and will hopefully take my time switching over completely. I am thinking a few 15 to 20 percent changes every 3 days or so and increasing after that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I got a RO unit that came with DI and I never bothered installing the DI portion... The RO does plenty for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode