Dosing with dirt tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Dosing with dirt tank?

I have a fairly new dirt tank capped with old eco-complete. My dirt is MGOCPM mixed with RedArt clay for iron and has dolomite / muriate of potash sprinkled under.

I have been dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4 every few days based on EI %s as well as Seachem Flourish in between for micro ferts.

Is any of this unnecessary?

What ferts does the dirt already provide / is it sufficient?

Can I overdose / what are the consequences?

Right now I have minimal algae and am blasting CO2 because I have very recently planted most of my flora / have no livestock yet.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Some plants feed entirely from the water. If you have none, it would not be in the "need" category. But all plants(Aquatic) can get ferts from the water and giving them access to them from any way they can get them, it is easier for them to feed.
I have heard the KH2PO4 can be overdosed to bad consequences...what I didn't hear.
You say/w EI fert %'s...if you are using the calculator to determine the amounts then
I see no reason to worry. As long as you follow the 50% per week water change.
I did not have many plants when I did this but I cut the recommended doses of EI light weekly down by 25% and saw no difference in plant growth.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Some plants feed entirely from the water. If you have none, it would not be in the "need" category. But all plants(Aquatic) can get ferts from the water and giving them access to them from any way they can get them, it is easier for them to feed.
I have heard the KH2PO4 can be overdosed to bad consequences...what I didn't hear.
You say/w EI fert %'s...if you are using the calculator to determine the amounts then
I see no reason to worry. As long as you follow the 50% per week water change.
I did not have many plants when I did this but I cut the recommended doses of EI light weekly down by 25% and saw no difference in plant growth.
Thanks for the input - I am taking it slow and ramping up my dosing to 100% EI slowly (at about 2/3 now) and monitoring closely for algae. Sounds like with frequent water changes and testing I should be fine.

What I don't understand is this:
Are nutrients from the dirt released into the water column at all? Or does this only benefit the root-feeding aspect of plants (I know most plants feed mainly from water column)?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Assuming a cap...they have some but little access to the water to leach it out into it.
I don't doubt it happens. Just that without a flowing current I can't see a lot of it.
A current flowing through the sub.
Good idea to bring it up slowly. How much ferts can a few 4" plants consume compared to 12-14" plants.
The water change is built into the EI systemto offset build up.
But alsoon that system sheet there is a additional section that calculates the build up over months according to what you are dosing. Yo went and complicated it by using a none listed fert(the liquids)which you don't know the amount of each nutrient in it.
I use Flourish comp and Tetra Pride only nowwhich give full nutrients but on a limited basis which is lower than EI so I'm doing the same complicating...LOL...to be able to use that place on the calculator to determine build up. But my total is far lower than normal full strength EI. When checking for build up you need to add the main nutrienrt from each fert that you use and add them to get the total. You will see it listed in a break down form in a list. Like K= and then under it the NO= and so on. You add only the K values for your total K value and put that in to get the build up amount.
At the bottom of the regular calculator list it says "and I am dosing for" and you pick one. I was using "EI light/weekly" and when I put in all the factors it said I would still have a build up even/w the 50% water changes over 6 months. For this reason I loweredthem by the 25% that I said before.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

i have a dirted tank 40 breeder with co2 and i do full ei dosing never an issue
and my plants are growing like crazy with very little of the a(algae) word dont want to say it to loud it may hear me lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danellis1229 View Post
i have a dirted tank 40 breeder with co2 and i do full ei dosing never an issue
and my plants are growing like crazy with very little of the a(algae) word dont want to say it to loud it may hear me lol
LOL I'm doing exactly this so that's good to hear. Plants are blowing up - just want to see what others are up to. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode