Ammonia Spike - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
Ammonia Spike

I have a well established bacteria colony in my tank (10 gallon).

That being said. I found a dead emerald barb (1.5 in.) at the bottom of my tank, and by the time I got him out, he had been there for about 24 hours (heavily planted, didn't notice...I know, I know, father of the year). Also, by that time, about a quarter of him had been eaten/dissolved.

Immediately afterward, I checked my parameters (Ammonia 1.5, Nitrites 0, Nitrates < 5). 12 hours post 50% water change, the parameters were almost identical.

Earlier in the week, I recharged my Purigen using bleach followed by Prime. I can't help but wonder if this killed my bacteria colony. I've never had an ammonia spike before, and I'm not sure how long this should last. Should I just go out and buy some Biospira?

Thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yeeps... well, 2 days later... how are your water parameters doing now?

It's easy for things to get out of wack in a 10gal tank. At this point there's no telling if the dead fish died from an ammonia spike, or if the decomposing body started the ammonia spike...

There are lots of things you can do for ammonia spikes, though. Water changes and adding nutrient-hog plants like floating plants and water sprite are some of the easiest. Or you can add some bacteria-boosting products. I'd personally just keep up the water changes and keep an eye on your water parameters.

If you haven't ever checked your tap water, you should probably do that, too. Water treatment plants will change their treatment procedures from time to time, and that can affect our fish tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
Thanks for the comment.

I change water using distilled. The fish died from being tormented by another one, so I'm pretty sure that it wasnt ammonia that killed him/her.

My ammonia started to drop slowly, but now there's another fish missing somewhere in the tank (lots of plants), and the ammonia started to climb again. I'm pretty sure its the same culprit who did it. I have to take out the plants and find this one.

What's the verdict on ammolock in the mean-time? Yeigh or Neigh?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Personally, I don't like those products. Some other ppl use them and have good results, but I had a bad go round with them years ago and think that ppl tend to use them in place of doing water changes... which is just throwing good $ after bad, IMO.

I have started using Prime as my water conditioner, and that also can lock up ammonia and nitrItes, but I don't use it instead of water changes.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode