I have a well established bacteria colony in my tank (10 gallon).
That being said. I found a dead emerald barb (1.5 in.) at the bottom of my tank, and by the time I got him out, he had been there for about 24 hours (heavily planted, didn't notice...I know, I know, father of the year). Also, by that time, about a quarter of him had been eaten/dissolved.
Immediately afterward, I checked my parameters (Ammonia 1.5, Nitrites 0, Nitrates < 5). 12 hours post 50% water change, the parameters were almost identical.
Earlier in the week, I recharged my Purigen using bleach followed by Prime. I can't help but wonder if this killed my bacteria colony. I've never had an ammonia spike before, and I'm not sure how long this should last. Should I just go out and buy some Biospira?