Goal: 30ppm CO2. All the time? During light hours? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Goal: 30ppm CO2. All the time? During light hours?

Hello all,

Just bought a used pressurized CO2 setup from a local aquarium owner around here. The setup is as follows:

5lb CO2 tank
AP.com's regulator
milwaukee pH controller
Aqua medic CO2 diffuser 100 (the glass/ceramic diffuser thing)
8 US Gallon tank
timer to control the CO2 setup

I understand that a pH drop of 1 equates to ~30ppm CO2 (ie. my tank's normal pH is 7.5, so I would want the pH to measure 6.5 for 30ppm).

- Should I maintain 30ppm CO2 at all times, even at night (thus I wouldn't need a timer for the CO2 setup, and would just let the pH controller control the CO2 at all times)?
- If not, should I have 30ppm CO2 by the time lights turn on?

I know that fluctuating CO2 levels can cause black beard algae, but at the same time, pumping CO2 at night might suffocate the fish excessively. Voice of experience, please!

Thanks,

--Hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Lights on only.

There's no need to add it any time else.
When lights are on, the O2 is higher than normal, so that + higher CO2 evens things out for the fish respiration.

This is typically what you see in smaller vegetated lakes but somewhat delayed (high CO2 at night/early part of the day, then most all of it being used up during the day/late/early night by the plants).

You can save 60% of the CO2 by adding a solenoid also vs 24/7.
You also do not add high ppm of CO2 at night to the fish(this makes breathing for them most of the times much easier vs 24/7 high CO2) and when the CO2 is high, so is the O2 due to plant growth.

CO2 is only 1/2 of respiration basically.

Plants do not care as long as they have stable good CO2 during the day cycle. They do not use CO2 at night.

By turning off CO2 at night, you also prevent any longer term build up, are able to have a lot more wiggle room adding CO2 when you do need it with less risk to the fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Lights on only.

There's no need to add it any time else.
When lights are on, the O2 is higher than normal, so that + higher CO2 evens things out for the fish respiration.

This is typically what you see in smaller vegetated lakes but somewhat delayed (high CO2 at night/early part of the day, then most all of it being used up during the day/late/early night by the plants).

You can save 60% of the CO2 by adding a solenoid also vs 24/7.
You also do not add high ppm of CO2 at night to the fish(this makes breathing for them most of the times much easier vs 24/7 high CO2) and when the CO2 is high, so is the O2 due to plant growth.

CO2 is only 1/2 of respiration basically.

Plants do not care as long as they have stable good CO2 during the day cycle. They do not use CO2 at night.

By turning off CO2 at night, you also prevent any longer term build up, are able to have a lot more wiggle room adding CO2 when you do need it with less risk to the fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Thanks for the tips. I'll have the CO2 setup on a timer to turn off an hour before lights out. Question still remains, however--should I aim to have the CO2 at 30ppm at lights on? Or I can just allow it to ramp up after the lights turn on?
--Hans

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
You will keep a certain level of CO2 overnight, the amount depends on your water turbulence. Your CO2 level will be at its lowest when your CO2 kicks on. This is why some people have their CO2 kick on 1 hr before the lights. Your CO2 will be used by the plants during the day, the rate of consumption will be the highest mid-late day.

The best thing to do is to get a drop checker to measure CO2. You will want it to be yellowish green most of the time, but this may not be true when your CO2 first comes on, it may be more green or blueish green.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyndragon View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'll have the CO2 setup on a timer to turn off an hour before lights out. Question still remains, however--should I aim to have the CO2 at 30ppm at lights on? Or I can just allow it to ramp up after the lights turn on?
--Hans
You can set the C02 to turn on with the lights, or an hour or 2 before and then go off an hour before the lights go off. Either way works. Personally, I like the hr before, but it costs an extra timer....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode