Seachem products for EI Dosing of 20GL - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Seachem products for EI Dosing of 20GL

I found this PDF of their's outlining dosing for what appears to be a high light CO2 driven aquarium: http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf. Do I need to be dosing all of those in the first month? Can I gradually bring those in over the course of a month or two or should I get every one of those bottles and dose them all from the get-go? The goal is very thick growth, a small dutch style aquarium.

I'm planning setting up a 20GL with a 65W power compact (kicking around) and a Fluval 88 CO2 system (I love the small size! we have very little living space!). I operated a heavily planted tank for a little while long long ago (over a decade) and was doing the estimative index from DIY chemicals. It was very hard to source out the chemicals where I live and I had to buy huge quantities of dangerous goods. I'd like to avoid that. Seachem products are readily available in my local market from the LFSs so I'm thinking of going with what they offer. Is that PDF just trying to sell snake oil products or is it good to dose everything there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:37 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
If plants are short on any one thing, they stop growing which leaves everything else for the algae to eat. (Look up Liebig's law of the minimum). It is definitely best to get the full range going right from the start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
If plants are short on any one thing, they stop growing which leaves everything else for the algae to eat. (Look up Liebig's law of the minimum). It is definitely best to get the full range going right from the start.
Thanks for the clarification. Oh and for those curious I found the following site where you can select a seachem product and it tells you how much you need for daily EI dosing. For a 20g aquarium (not accounting for substrate, etc) I'd need around 3mL.

http://calc.petalphile.com/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 AM
Planted Member

That is going to become expensive very quickly. Why not just go the powered route from the get go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyfeoffishing's 55 gallon community

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Definitely get powdered ferts and make your own stock solution. It's so easy and so much cheaper.

I'll also caution you against the fluval kit. I used this with a 15 gallon for awhile and it certainly works, but it gets stupidly expensive to keep buying those cartridges. So much so that I wished I would have saved all that money for a regulator. I now have a regulator and 5lb tank and am so much happier. No refilling ever 3-4 weeks, cheaper refills, better control of co2, and it's on a timer. If you are set on something small maybe look into some sort of paintball setup? Green leaf aquariums has a couple nice small regulators including a paintball one.

40B Goldfish Tank

Betta Tank

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

I use Seachem's fert line for dosing actually. I use their Aquavitro line (which is only available through LFS btw, not online), and have had pretty good results with it. It's HIGHLY concentrated stuff, and I've been dosing 2 tanks, and only my micro bottle and iron bottle are starting to run low, and I bought the stuff in March

Also Seachem's Premier water conditioner, which I just picked up yesterday, works at the same concentration as prime, but also adds in potassium which is awesome. I use Envy (Micros), Propel (Iron), Synthesis (nitrogen), and Activate (Phosphorous and Potassium). For my 40 gal I follow their dosing guidelines, and I've gotten awesome results. They may be more expensive (It's 10 dollars for a bottle) then dry dosing, it's very easy, but at the same time it's not overly expensive either.

Aquavitro website: http://www.aquavitro.com/products/plant.html

Dosing guidelines: http://www.aquavitro.com/downloads/a...ant_dosing.pdf

Also I used the Ista disposable CO2 cartridge system, and it got very expensive, very fast. I was going through one cartridge every 3 days, and that was conservative use. I picked up a nice regulator set up for $120 at my local hydroponics store that has a great needle valve and solenoid, and then put down a $150 deposit on a 20lb tank that costs 6.99 to get exchanged for a full one. One of those cartridges was 10 dollars, so for a month's worth of CO2 it ended up costing me $100, and it wasn't even enough CO2 for my tank.... The only good thing that came out of the kit was the diffuser/bubble counter combo.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tithra View Post
Definitely get powdered ferts and make your own stock solution. It's so easy and so much cheaper.

I'll also caution you against the fluval kit. I used this with a 15 gallon for awhile and it certainly works, but it gets stupidly expensive to keep buying those cartridges. So much so that I wished I would have saved all that money for a regulator. I now have a regulator and 5lb tank and am so much happier. No refilling ever 3-4 weeks, cheaper refills, better control of co2, and it's on a timer. If you are set on something small maybe look into some sort of paintball setup? Green leaf aquariums has a couple nice small regulators including a paintball one.

Yeah the Fluval setup seems attractive for it's size to me but I keep thinking about it more and I really would benefit from a solenoid so I can turn it off automatically at night. I asked on the local forums for a source on dry fertilizers and somebody informed me of Canadian Aquatics which has 5 lb bags of dry ferts for good prices. Much more maneagable than the 20 pound bags I had to get from the local grower suppliers last time I did a planted tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
I use Seachem's fert line for dosing actually. I use their Aquavitro line (which is only available through LFS btw, not online), and have had pretty good results with it. It's HIGHLY concentrated stuff, and I've been dosing 2 tanks, and only my micro bottle and iron bottle are starting to run low, and I bought the stuff in March

Also Seachem's Premier water conditioner, which I just picked up yesterday, works at the same concentration as prime, but also adds in potassium which is awesome. I use Envy (Micros), Propel (Iron), Synthesis (nitrogen), and Activate (Phosphorous and Potassium). For my 40 gal I follow their dosing guidelines, and I've gotten awesome results. They may be more expensive (It's 10 dollars for a bottle) then dry dosing, it's very easy, but at the same time it's not overly expensive either.

Aquavitro website: http://www.aquavitro.com/products/plant.html

Also I used the Ista disposable CO2 cartridge system, and it got very expensive, very fast. I was going through one cartridge every 3 days, and that was conservative use. I picked up a nice regulator set up for $120 at my local hydroponics store that has a great needle valve and solenoid, and then put down a $150 deposit on a 20lb tank that costs 6.99 to get exchanged for a full one. One of those cartridges was 10 dollars, so for a month's worth of CO2 it ended up costing me $100, and it wasn't even enough CO2 for my tank.... The only good thing that came out of the kit was the diffuser/bubble counter combo.
I never even thought about a hydroponics store for a regulator & solenoid! There's one literally 3 blocks from my house, I should walk over and see what they have.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode