Moving fish - different pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Moving fish - different pH

I will be ready to move some fish into their newly setup tank soon, but here's my problem. Their current holding tank has a pH of ~7.6, the new tank has a pH of ~6. I'm afraid the move to a much lower pH will be a shock and cause some unnecessary fish loss. What is the safest way to accomplish this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
could you do the drip accumulation?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I acclimate my fish with water changes over a few days, about .5 pH per day.

I put the fish in a small tank (2.5gal) with water from their own tank, and do partial water changes daily with water from the destination tank, being sure not to change the pH more than .5. If I'm unsure how much new water to add (sometimes it's heavily buffered and a little can make a big change) I just add a little bit like 5% or 10% and check the pH after 10 min or so.

That's just my method, and I've never noticed a fish being very stressed about it. It may be overly cautious but I really don't know how much pH can fluctuate in the wild after a rain or whatever.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Grow little guys... grow.

PTrader: (1/100%)
I thought I'd toss this in....

I usually keep my tanks around 6.7 pH, and when I do my weekly water change the pH jumps up to 7.4 because the new water doesn't have any CO2 in it. This change happens relatively fast, over the course of 3 minutes. In the beginning, I was overly worried that the shift in pH was going to stress the fish. Several years later, the same fish are still going strong and are healthy as ever. (Tiger barbs, zebra danios, galaxy rasboras, shrimp, etc. nothing exotic.)

I was a little more relaxed about this when I read that fish are more sensitive to changes in pH when that change in pH is caused by changing the KH quickly and drastically. But if the KH remains close to the same and the pH change is caused by acids (like adding CO2), then the effect on the fish is not that much of a problem.

I wish I could find where I read that.... So I don't know how accurate my comment is.

Cheers!

Jeremy Squires, Toronto, ON
One should never have to decide between chocolate, cake, or cookies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode