Co2 testing. How? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 testing. How?

It's been 3 weeks since I moved from yeast to pressurized. The plants seem very happy about it. Can't say same thing about fish and shrimp
Fish are breathing rely rapidly and hide in shade. Shrimps melt a lot.
So how do I know I do not overdose it?
Fancy drop checker? Ph measurements? Wich method can I relay on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
measuring ph is a way. ph of 6.6 equals 30ppm of co2 which is where most people recommend you leave the co2 levels. drop checkers are the best way to measure it though, they aren't at all fancy, they are constant visual indicators of the ph. if you see your first rapidly there is something wrong. possibly ammonia or co2. how many bubbles per second do you see in your bubble counter??

-Jacklyn
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I control c02 injection via pH meter and controller but I have a drop checker just double check AND a quick visual that I can see as I'm passing by my tank.

But since you went pressurized I would highly also recommend a pH meter and controller, it takes some of the guess work out of the equation.

Also there is a direct c02 meter and controller on Kickstarter. I've backed it and there is a thread on this forum about it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Guess it depends how much money you want to spend.

But if you notice distress from your livestock I'd definitely dial it back.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
measuring ph is a way. ph of 6.6 equals 30ppm of co2 which is where most people recommend you leave the co2 levels. drop checkers are the best way to measure it though, they aren't at all fancy, they are constant visual indicators of the ph. if you see your first rapidly there is something wrong. possibly ammonia or co2. how many bubbles per second do you see in your bubble counter??
This is not correct. pH of 6.6 only works if the kH=4. Then CO2=30ppm.

If kH<4, then ph=6.6 means you have less than 30ppm of CO2.
If kH>4, then pH=6.6 means you have more than 30ppm of CO2.

Use of the pH/kH chart works reasonably well, but many other factors can influence results such as other acids in the water which will lower the pH reading, or alkali substances which will increase the pH reading.

I use both a DC and pH/kH measurements.

OP, it sounds like you are adding too much. Back off.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like the drop checker because you can see the color changing and adjust if necessary. They do take a while to change colors though. Occasionally I'll check the ph/kh using this website. http://fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html Just remember that if your using say the api test kit to check your ph, they are hard to read and you may think the chart is accurate but it may not be due to your test kit. Example if you have a kh of 4 and the ph looks like 6.4 or maybe 6.2, well 6.4ph and kh of 4 is 47ppm c02 and 6.2ph and kh of 4 is 75ppm c02. Something to consider......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
These color tests aren't going to be accurate if you have color blindness, which affects 8% of males and 0.5% of females. So if you're have it, these tests will be pretty useless.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh yeah the ph km chat works well too I have one taped in the inside of my stand door. Get a drop checker off line they are like $20 or less especially if you get one used from a member here.

-Jacklyn
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ph/kh chart shows 20ppm without co2 injection wich can't be true. No idea if it's because of driftwood leeching or dirt, but that method is not usable if any other acid is present besides co2.

From drop checker I hardly can read anything because it transparent and color depends on background and lightning tone.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think you need to turn off your co2 until you get this figured out....not worth risking fish lives. If you cant figure out your drop checker then you need to do that, I put my glass cleaner (which is gray) right beside the drop checker so it has a whitish background....I also have the double drop checker so I have a reference of what the color is supposed to look like. If you don't trust the chart, don't trust your drop checker, don't have a ph controller, don't know the signs or trust the signs your fish are trying to display, maybe you aren't really ready for injected co2????

-Jacklyn

Last edited by jmf3460; 07-18-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: i was mean
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The important thing not to stop questioning -Albert Einstain
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
These color tests aren't going to be accurate if you have color blindness, which affects 8% of males and 0.5% of females. So if you're have it, these tests will be pretty useless.
This also applies if you are completely blind, or a cabbage. 100% of blind people and cabbages are unable to read drop checkers..

LOL sorry i couldnt resist.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As far as I know there are no truly reliable tests that don't require large amounts of money. Some tests will give an indication one way or another but when you study all of them they are based on other tests and those other tests like KH are just not very reliable. So when we do a test based on a test which may not be accurate, we can't really expect the result to be accurate.
The only practical way I find to deal with the doubt as to CO2 levels and the way it may harm our fish is by being very careful. Being careful on this means increasing the CO2 very slowly and watching my fish for any changes in their behavior. One test may tell me that happens at 20PPM and another may say it is 60PPM but those tests are not reliable. My fish are what tell me what to do and they are always spot on so I don't need numbers.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Easiest test:
If the fish and shrimp are stressed, BACK OFF.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Easiest test:
If the fish and shrimp are stressed, BACK OFF.

Best advice here. Watch your livestock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use a drop checker but I always use http://www.theaquatools.com/co2-calculations to double check for piece of mind. It uses the full math formula that will give you a better indicator than the chart. (Only use the PH/KH one as the other methods aren't as accurate)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode