Seachem Purigen Not Working !! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Purigen Not Working !!

Just setup my 43G tank (custom make to accommodate my stand ) 3-week ago, after 3-day was crystal clear achieved. Unfortunately, after 2-week, milky water starts (bacteria bloom). I thought i will wait up, and let the good bacteria built up, but after 10-day (milky) still same, and it get worst !

So i decided to get a packet of Purigen, put in to my Flu 206 6-day ago, but till today still not achieved crustal clear effect, am i under dosed with just 1-pkt ! As on the instruction it says will treat upto 400 Ltr (105 US Gal )of water !

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Purigen doesn't remove bacteria.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If it's a bacterial bloom, Purigen will not likely help much. Purigen picks up a lot of unwanted compounds & impurities, but will not deal with a bacterial bloom which just needs time to correct itself.
Your 1 packet of Purigen is sufficient for the size of your tank, and it will eventually produce good water clarity once the bacterial bloom dissipates.
A couple of large water changes should help correct the problem.
Be patient and have faith.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

discuspaul, thank u for your advise, guest i will do more water change, and wait up ! Get hold of few ADA Backtar ball hope it will boost the beneficial bacteria built up, cheers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Purigen mostly just "polishes" water by pulling out organic compounds that would discolor the water, like tannins.

I agree, just keep up the water changes and wait out the initial bacteria bloom. Very normal for a new tank setup, and it should go away on its own as the tank cycles and achieves some stability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode