Nitrate Issue. Where the heck is it coming from? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Natty Send a message via MSN to Natty
Nitrate Issue. Where the heck is it coming from?

I recently cycled a planted tank. Shows 0 for nitrite and ammonia. I also packed it with quite a few stemmed plants including a bunch of water sprite.

However, I'm having nitrate problems. That's my biggest issue. I did a 70% total water change yesturday and it went from 20 ppm to 10 ppm. But this is similiar to my shrimp tank. No matter how many water changes I do, it doesn't seem to lower the nitrate readings much or the nitrate readings keep saying 10 ppm.

I need it to get to 5-10 ppm for my crays. I do have one crayfish tank that is at 0 nitrates and my test kit shows that.

I don't know where the nitrate is coming from in my newly cycled tank and from my shrimp tank.

I completely changed the substrate in my shrimp tank and changed water constantly every few days and still 10 ppm. Where the heck is it coming from?

Aren't the plants suppose to suck up nitrates? I don't get why my crayfish tank has 0 nitrates and my shrimp tank has 10 even though they both have similiar plant mass in both....

I don't know where the nitrates coming from and its rather frustrating. Am I suppose to do a lot more water changes just to get rid of the nitrates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

By the way, tap water shows 0 nitrates and I also cleaned filter media
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
That sounds really odd. I believe type of plant does matter (stem or no stem) not just plant mass so that could be part of it. Other than that I am not sure. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
what substrate?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Flourite

But I'm using the same bag of flourite with the other crayfish tank that has 0 nitrates.

Odd? Very!

Annoying? Hell yeah!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

You think it might be plants dying in the tank that might cause all the nitrate problems?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Probably your water source. Have to tested your test kit? Id be willing to bet its a cheap one. Get yourself a lamotte if you want a good NO3 test kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I agree you need to test your tap water.

How long has it been since you vacuumed your substrate? Any mulm buildup anywhere in the system, especially in your filters?

Also, you could make calibration solutions if a Lamotte kit is too expensive.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I agree you need to test your tap water.

How long has it been since you vacuumed your substrate? Any mulm buildup anywhere in the system, especially in your filters?

Also, you could make calibration solutions if a Lamotte kit is too expensive.
I don't have access to a gram scale to make calibration solutions (if any of you can ship me some, shipment on me, I'll buy some from you).

I did test my tap water and it seems to be good. Shows 0 nitrates I think i posted it up on #2 post.

I saw some of the calibration procedures and it sounds complicating and time consuming. I'm all for simplicity.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode