Ph rising dirted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ph rising dirted tank

Just set up two tanks with dirt mineralized from my backyard, one with petco sand and another with ceramaquartz. .75" dirt and 1.75" sand. Ph jumping from 7.4 to 8.3 in 24 hrs and I'm pretty sure it's going higher over longer periods. Why? And how to fix it? Been doing massive and frequent water changes, I've got well water but haven't tested hardness at all. Oddly enough the petco Sand tank took a solid week longer to start rising and the ceramaquartz began immediately

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Put a handful of each material in a separate jar with some tap water, and another jar that has nothing but tap water.
Test GH, KH, pH, TDS at the start, then once a day for a few days. You can carry on, tested a couple of times per week if you want to see long term small changes.

If none of these show the problem, then look at other things. Do you have any rocks in the tanks?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would try a pH test with a jar: put tap water into the jar; cover and shake to get out gases; test the pH; put in an inch of ceramaquartz; cover and shake; test pH.

If you get the same pH behavior as in the tank, you've got the culprit.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Was surprised to find the ceramaquartz is the problem! Any idea why?

The ceramaquartz is definitely the problem. Anyone ever heard of this? How to fit it? Vaccum all the sand out trying to leave the dirt in so I can rinse the stuff out more? Total bummer.

-Joe

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-18-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Do not cross post
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am afraid that is pretty much the answer. Remove as much as you possibly can. Most community fish can handle a wide range of GH, KH, pH and TDS, so if a little bit remains that might be OK.

If you are going to try breeding some of the most particular of soft water fish you would need to be more thorough, perhaps remove all the substrate and start over.

Or, make this a tank for hard water fish.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Luckily, or not in case there's too much clay in this soil, it stayed in a clump at the bottom, pretty easy to siphon out. After very thorough rinsing the ph in the bucket is just fine, time to reconstruct! Thanks for the suggestions!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	347562

-Joe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode