Flourish Dosing Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question Flourish Dosing Questions

OK, so i am still new to the planted tank. I have been using Flourish Tabs and Flourish Comp. I have about a 50 gal w pressurized co2. I have been using 1 cap full of comp per week after a WC. The plants are doing great. I have explosive growth in my pennywort and ludwigia and my java lace fern is dropping fuzzy brown hairs from the leaves (I am assuming its reproducing).

I have developed a bad green spot algae problem on my centerpiece annubis and it is beginning to spread out. From the posts here it says GSP is caused by low phosphates. I looked on the flourish website and saw their recommended dosing for a planted tank. It is a seven day a week regiment and in addition to the comp is says I should be adding the 3 macro nutirents, as well as dosing trace and excel etc.

My question is since my plants seem to be doing OK as is with just the comp. Can I just suppliment just the Phosphorus or do I need to get everything they recommend?

Also does anyone follow the flourish recommendations on their site? Seems like a lot of ferts to be adding all the time. What are your opinions?

***110g Prehistoric Theme Polypterus Planted Tank ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

***84g Fluval Osaka 320***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval Pimp**Uno Cinco** (15)

Last edited by rhytemaker; 06-20-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: poor grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Some of the nutrient content in Flourish products is relatively low (specifically the Potassium). That's why their recommendation might seem a lot, and that's why the recommendation here is to buy the dry chemicals (NO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4) and save a bunch.

If your plants grow nicely you don't have to dose that much, but keep an eye on them because often in new tanks they will use up what's there and then run out, stop growing, and welcome to algae land. Pale or yellow new growth is an early sign of ferts running out.

You might want to check your tap water and if it doesn't contain any phosphates (some do) adding some could reduce the GSA growth.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode