ARRRRRGH!! I need guidance about the whole EI thing.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
ARRRRRGH!! I need guidance about the whole EI thing..

Look, I know it's been asked before, and I know I'm dumb, but please help me. I've tried searching these forums all day and night long, and it's making my head spin. I can't take it anymore. The chuck's calculator thing says certain ppm's are sufficient and other people say it's not enough. Certain people say the amount of dry ferts recommended in certain threads is the amount that's added all week long, and some people say it's each time you dose. I just can't figure it out, and I feel dumb.

My whole reasoning for going EI is so that I won't have to test the water. So I just want someone to tell me the amount I should add of each of my dry ferts, every time I dose. And not only that, but I was hoping someone could help me determine the amounts in grams, because I have a scale that accurately measures down to 2mg increments. 64ths of a teaspoon mean nothing to me.

So I have all the usual dry ferts: KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, and CSM+B. This is a ten gallon tank that I just added pressurized CO2 to, so I haven't gotten the drop checker to go fully green yet, as I'm still experimenting with finding the right flow rate. Right now it's at about 1 bubble per second. So far by using that confounded chuck's calculator, I've decided that my every-other-day regimen will be as follows, but I don't know if it's correct. Will someone tell me if this is a correct regimen?

0.31g KNO3, 0.06g KH2PO4, 1.7g K2SO4 ===> All together, Days 1,3,5
~3g CSM+B, ~half capful of Flourish Iron ===> All together, Days 2,4,6
Water change and mowing of the lawn ===> Day 7

20 Goto 10

Am I undershooting things here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Did you see this?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

Take the 20-40 divide by 2, that will give you a good starting point

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, and I guess I'm just going to have to figure out how to convert fractions of a teaspoon to fractions of a gram...

Thanks.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
problem is one teaspoon of one stuff doesn't not equal one teaspoon of another stuff.... Molecular weight and such...

Why don't you just convert the ppm to gram?
like: (i hope my math is right)
Let'ssay your target ppm of KNO3 is 5.
5ppm of KNO3 = 5mg/L of KNO3

lets say you have a 10L tank... so you need to add 50mg in the 10L to get 5ppm of KNO3.

I personally use the 1 pinch, 2 pinch method.. I like to cook so I have a sense of how much a teaspoon is.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So if I find information that states "your target ppm of x is..." does that mean each time I dose? Or is that a cumulative total for the whole week's worth of dosing? Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just use the teaspoon quantities. It doesn't have to be that exact. Use a piece of glass and a razor blade. Take a 1/8 tsp, scrape level and dump on glass. As best you can (which will be accurate enough) use the blade to cut the pile in half (2-1/16 tsp) then cut one 1/16 tsp in half (2-1/32 tsp) and so on. This will do fine then watch your plants, growth should be steady. If the growth stops then something is deficient. At tht time you can add more/less.

Chris
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you'd have to experiment once or twice to see what works for you by testing the water...
It depends on how much plants you have & lights & CO2.. That'll determine how much ferts your plants will take up.

but yeah, shoot for 5ppm of NO3, 5-10ppm of K, And 2-4 ppm of P, and literally a pinch of CMB+ at every dosing. Then test at the end of the week or just watch how the plants react. There isn't a risk of overdosing except for the micronutrients that has any effect on the fish & inverts.

That's what EI is all about.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooner View Post
Just use the teaspoon quantities. It doesn't have to be that exact. Use a piece of glass and a razor blade. Take a 1/8 tsp, scrape level and dump on glass. As best you can (which will be accurate enough) use the blade to cut the pile in half (2-1/16 tsp) then cut one 1/16 tsp in half (2-1/32 tsp) and so on. This will do fine then watch your plants, growth should be steady. If the growth stops then something is deficient. At tht time you can add more/less.
Well siad, EI is great for this. You dont have to be exact. At the end of the week you change 50% of the water and start all over. If you need a better
way of measuring, get you a gram scale that measures 0.00 decimal points.
If you need anything Church just let me know..
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As I said already up above, I *do* have an extremely accurate scale (down to 2mg increments) and I was actually hoping to find some specific measurements in the form of grams (or mg), and I can't seem to find that. I guess I could go out and buy some of these dash/pinch measuring spoons, but I hate buying extra stuff if I don't need to. Does anyone have any good measurements for me? I'd rather use my scale. Thanks Orlando, you are the best!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I dose all the ferts dry. I did go buy the dash/pinch measuring spoons, (it's no big deal). I have a 10g that I dose.

KH2PO4, K2SO4, CSM+B 1/32 tsp (smidgen),
KNO3 - 1/8 (dash)

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't know if this site will help you but give it a try they have convertions for everything. http://www.onlineconversion.com/ I hope it helps.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
if you have an accurate scale just measure out one tsp of each fert, weigh it and then do the math to figure out the conversion. Divide the total weight of each tsp by the fraction you need. Should be easy enough with a scale and calculator. As pointed out each of the dry ferts varies in density so you need to figure out each one separately. Rex Grigg's site has a page that will tell you much to dose by weight to put X amount of each fert in X volume of water but you are probably better off doing EI and not worrying about being so precise with the targets.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you still need help with this I figure I can post what I dose my 5g with.

.85g K2SO4
.07g CSM+B
Those are added EACH time I add ferts.

Nitrate I test for but each .15g KNO3 for me adds about 5ppm nitrate to my tank so some days I add .3 some days I add .15g depends on the fish and plants.

My phosphates are really high all the time so I don't dose that but .03g should add 1ppm phosphate to the tank.

Since these are based off of volume of tank water you should be able to double the amounts for the same results in the 10g and half them if you are dosing the 2.5g

Hope this helped and if I messed up someone please correct me.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Fertilator

Change the teaspoons to grams. Play with it until you get it sorted out. Figure your dosing how you want: per day, per week......

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, thanks again everyone.

Plakat that was very thoughtful of you to post that! So do you dose your ferts every other day? Or do you do the 7-day, macros, micros, macros, micros, macros, micros, 50% wc method?

This is all very helpful, guys, so thank you. I guess the part I'm still having trouble with is trying to determine if, when people say that it's a good idea to add x amount of KNO3 to provide 5ppm of nitrates, is that because I want to add 5ppm of nitrates each time I dose it? Like every other day? Meaning that at the end of the 6th day, before the weekly 50% water change, I've added 15ppm of nitrates?

I feel really dumb because either that's been answered several times before, and I haven't caught it, or no one feels it's worth mentioning, and I'm just overthinking it.

My whole reason for going EI is I don't want to mess with testing kits and stuff like that. I just want a daily routing of adding nutrients to the tank so that algae doesn't out-compete the plants, and I want to enjoy the benefits of a bubbly, sparkly, highlight co2 injected tank.

My low tech tanks are easy to work with. I just throw a little Ken's liquid fert in them when I see a yellowing leaf or two, and the rest of the nutes come from the eco-complete. It's this high-light 4wpg tank that requires a lot of my attention, and I'm hoping once I can start rocking EI correctly, it won't be so unstable anymore.

It's still beautiful, but I'm tired of battling hair algae and clado.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode