Silica Level of My Tank Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Silica Level of My Tank Water

Today I got my silica colorimeter and so I tested my tank water. The result is 14 ppm. Is this too high? My problem with brown algae as described in my other thread is slowly but surely coming back. I made a massive gravel vacuuming about 3 weeks ago and it definitely solved my brown algae problem. But now, I noticed that it is slowly coming back again - the leaves are getting covered by a slight brownish coat.

I also got today Seachem Phosguard. I plan to use the whole bottle 500 grams for the 23 gallon actual water volume and ran it in my filter for about 12 hours each week right after the water change. Is this a good idea? Or can i just put the phosguard in a filter bag and put it inside the tank in front of the powerhead for a good flow.

Any comments or suggestions is much appreaciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
How much light do you have? How long has the tank been set up? Generally speaking, you don't deep vacuum the gravel as that destroys the substrate ecosystem.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the tank has been set up for around 1 1/2 years now so its not new. i have 5 cfl 23 watts each spread over 30" L x 18" W x 18" H tank.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

here are some pics of what's going on:

as you can see, the leaf edges of the Micranthemum Umbrosum is getting covered with this brown film and the stems of the hornwort are getting brown. i don't think it is the hornwort that is pearling but actually it's the algae.

Last edited by birbaliktanki; 09-02-2016 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
That's a lot of light. I'd remove two bulbs to see if that makes a difference.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks. i would definitely try that. how long before i can expect any difference?

the reason why i don't think its light is because my glosso is growing upwards.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My tank has always been extremely low light, and it always had brown algae.
The arguments I heard are that low light is a contributing factor.
Never heard that too much light will cause it.
In any case, I'm brown algae free ever since I got a couple otos and a bunch of ramshorn snails.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@ Markp80nj

can you please send me some over here? doesn't ramshorn eat plants? is your tank still low light?

that's what i am also reading in the literature that low light is one of the causes of brown algae, not high light. but i would try also to reduce my light and see what happens.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If it subsided when you cleaned your substrate, you may want to consider doing it again and giving some thought to your water change frequency and amount of water changed. I've struggled with brown diatoms for decades now, and the only thing that's worked for me is bigger and more frequent water changes in tandem with Phosgard. I use phosgard in simple box filters as well as in the plastic cage inside Aquaclear Quickfilters. Ramshorn and nerite snails are tools in the process as well.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks bushkill. you know when i did a super massive gravel vacuuming, i thought i finally solved the riddle of algae problems. but 3 weeks on, it starting to come back. i cannot do another super massive vacuuming again. so yeah, controlling algae is proving to be extremely difficult.

can i just put the phosgard in a filter bag and let it hang inside my tank for, say 12 hours? or it wouldn't do its job?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most media like Phosgard need water circulation throughout to work properly. You can put some in a media bag and place the bag in an HOB filter or a canister. I also use Phosgard in the canisters on my 180G. Instead of packing the media bag tightly, I try to make sure I can lay the bag down and flatten it to something on the area of an inch in height so there is better circulation throughout.

Rather than stirring up your substrate to that extent, you may consider simply doing bi-weekly water changes. Every tank is different so that you should consider changes to your routine every so often to determine what is best practice for your tank.

Angelo

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

do you keep the phosgard inside the filter all the time or for a limited period only? i am afraid it would suck up all the phosphate in the tank and thereby, depriving the plants of their macro nutrients.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a LOT of tanks, and if anything I'm late in changing the Phosgard. I haven't seen any negative effects; actually quite the opposite. When I fall behind on my water change schedules, the first effect is the buildup of brown diatoms on plant leaves. I try to get all back on schedule and change phosgard and the plants really seem to appreciate it more than the fish sometimes. The one thing that we have extremely limited means of measuring and monitoring is the ability of plants to utilize nitrates, phosphates and other nutrients. Personally, I think as a group we tend to overestimate just what our plants can utilize.

Angelo

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i think you are right. for 2 weeks now, i stopped dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4 and iron because as I do daily water testing, the numbers are always quite high and no need to dose additional. my nitrates are always at the 30+ ppm level, phosphate is 2+, iron is 0.2+. so i stopped dosing for now except on water change day.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

An important point to consider with water changes is that they simply dilute whatever is in the water column. So that a 25% water change will only decrease nitrates of 30+ppm to 22.5ppm and depending on the rate of nitrate production, may be back to where you started very quickly. The tricky numbers are how fast it's produced and how fast it's consumed. So many variables it will make your head spin, lol!

Angelo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode