cycling issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
cycling issues

I'm cycling two new tanks. first ones. a 6g and a 16g. They both had spikes on friday, so saturday I went out and bought some chems (aquafin Ph decrease, NovAqua water conditioner, and Seachem Prime for the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate), did a water change, vacuum, and added in the stuff to drop ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I checked them today to give them time to get the stuff working and today they are still bad. Wondering what to do.

6g stats:
PH 7.6
nitrate ~5
ammonia 0
nitrite ~ 1.0

16g stats:
PH 8.0
nitrate ~10
ammonia 4.0
nitrite ~1.0

I've cleaned out anything dead (the spike has killed 4 fish total) and there are a good amount of plants in there to suck the stuff up (I'm adding more this week by chance that'll help.)

both are low light running 12 hours.

so do I do another water change/vacuum and add in more of the chems? or should I give it a few more days and just add more chems when I add in the new plants tomorrow or thursday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
How long have they been set up?

What fauna do you have in these tanks?

You mention you have a good amount of plants. Can you be a bit more specific (types, numbers)?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mpodolan; 06-18-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: re-read and answered my own question
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh, you should avoid using chems to alter ph. There are some good threads here that discuss this issue as well

Mike

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

been up for 1 1/2 weeks, 6g has 4 bunches of hornwort all growing incredibly fast and some smaller plants that I can't remember the name of. 16g has an amazon sword and also 4 bunchs of hornwort all growing fast. think it could be that there are too little plants? 6 small fish in the 16g and now only 3 in the 6g.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Don't use chemicals to remove the ammonia/nitrite. Water changes only, but if no fish, just leave it be. It could take up to 6 weeks.

Further, prime takes out chlorine/chloramines, so why are you using novaqua?

IF for "skin" products, don't. It is a waste. I agree with mp about the ph adjusters too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Just curious, are you new to aquariums in general, or just to planted tanks? Understanding the nitrogen cycle is important for anyone in this hobby. There are a number of ways to "cycle" a tank safely. I prefer the silent cycle (adding enough plants to prevent any dangerous amount of ammonia/nitrite), but bio-spira, fishless cycling, using seeded filter material, etc. can all be effective.

It sounds like you are trying to silently cycle your tanks by adding fast-growing plants. You can read more about this at Rex's site rexgrigg.com

I would add more fast growers (at least to the 16g) to help this process. Water changes will help get the levels to a safer range until you can get more plants.

Mike

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

kk. thanks guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode