1Likes
  • 1 Post By Raymond S.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Dennerle Dosator, the future of dosing?

Hey guys,
I am a subscriber of DefiniteAquascapeTV on youtube, he has been doing wonderful coverage of InterZoo 2014, which is a trade show that is going on in Germany for our beloved hobby. Most of the time, companies dont come out with groundbreaking products, usually, especially in this hobby new products are just evolutionary steps above its predecessor. I just watched this video of a new product made by Dennerle ( never heard of them ) called the " Dosator ".

It Promises a more consistent and effortless way of fertilizing your tank, with no moving parts, and only needs attention once every 4 weeks.

Check out the video unveiling the product itself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtK56ZeVVY8
And the companies product website, its in German, Chrome users need only to simply click " Translate ", other browser users... hope you know German :p

http://dennerle.com/de/produkte/aqua...engung/dosator

my only question is how will this product let me switch between micro and macro ferts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
How about that...a "new" product which actually is.
So when does the "new and improved" version come out ?...LOL...
No really, that is awesome dude...thanks.
Question: I have been skeptical of just how long Osmocote last in an aquarium.
I use it by pushing indvidual pieces of it into the sub/w a tweezers around any plants I want more ferts on.
But on a bottle of the stuff they sell in a garden supply, it says fertilizes "up to" 6 months. People have OD'd their tanks by not following those directions and adding it monthly. So for how long is it actually good ?
I ask this because I can already see using it in these new fert devices which this thread is about. See no reason for it not to work in one.
Assuming it does, you can then tell how much if left just by the size of what is left of the pellets you put in.
Do you see any reason this would not work. The product only cost about $11...but...
are you locked into using their fert in it ? This COULD be where they get your money.
That little bottle of the fert may after 6 months or a year from now suddenly jump up in price to "only $29.95 per bottle".
So what do you think about what I said ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

huh...

i thought this would get more of a reaction...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sean face it...it don't cost a lot and it's too simple.
Now how can I have faith in it if it doesn't plug in ?
Go figure...LOL...
It likely has a lower concentration than the EI fert system...
It probably would be much more consistant than the PPS Pro system...
If I tried it...I would have to try to use it with Osmocote+ pellets...
Because if you didn't notice...they failed to mention the price of that little bottle of ferts for it.
If that bottle cost $10...they said it was good for 800 liters which gives me 10 months supply. My dry ferts cost me about $20 but you can't see any gone from the package yet and I have been using it for about half a year. Seems the cost is close to what I am paying IF the bottle cost $10 or less. Any idea on what it cost ? Have you looked at the site ? I don't have Chrome so it's a waste of my time looking at German writing.
I am curious about this.
AdamRT likes this.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Interesting concept. What I dont like about it is that the amount of fertilizer you are getting is dependent on those membrane "stickers". You have to pick which one you want to determine the flow of water between the membranes. The amount of ferts you need is dependent on quite a few other variables other than size of the tank. Though I suppose if you need more perhaps the fertilizer would run out quicker. I wonder how well that would work for a bigger tank. My only question is what happens when other matter gets dissolved into the water column...say fish food or waste, or decaying plant matter. Will that mess up the dosing...or will it in fact help because the dosator wont be pushing as much ferts into the water? Hmmm...very interesting.

Thanks for sharing! Just subscribed to his channel as well!

Last edited by jasa73; 07-14-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I am glad someone made this into a commercially available unit. I have been using similar contraptions since 2006, and they work very well with some limitations.

This reminds me of the cheap printers that cost way less than what it takes to make them. I regularly buy Canon Pixma Pro-100's for under $40 after rebate. However, ink for them is ~$120, so this is how they make their money back.

Possibly same situation here, although I don't know how much the ferts actually cost. Depending on the size of your tank, it may not be affordable.

The other drawback with this all-in-one solutions may be that your specific situation requires adjustments. For example, your water may contain large amounts of PO4, or NO3, and therefore there is no need to dose these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Powder ferts work easy and fine.

My 25 gallon cube garden:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Derrenle is a pretty common German brand, sort of similar to Fluval in terms of market and products.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester946 View Post
Powder ferts work easy and fine.
thats like saying the wooden wheel worked just fine...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
awesome !

and as to the problem of bottle price going up, it will only be a matter of time before someone replicates the liquid concentration formula for all the DIY fert guys. The powder people will soon be custom making their own high concentration liquids for this thing
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I certainly wouldnt begrudge anyone from using this, but personally its just too easy to mix in dry ferts. For me i dont want another thing hanging in my tank. And which sticker is it if I wanted to up my K?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode