How to make DIY root tabs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to make DIY root tabs

Okay so I plan to transfer to DIY root tabs and I have some things in mind.

Such as:
Osmocote plus

Size 0 gel capsules

I just don't know if these gel capsules are what people would use? If I purchase these I could make 100 capsules for about $20 max vs $8 for 10 capsules I buy now.

If you would suggest another product go ahead please would like some choices. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyfeoffishing's 55 gallon community
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
I think most people use 00 size, they're a little bigger. Ice cubes will also work. I did that for a while. Put the fert balls in an ice tray and fill about half way with water.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh thanks is there any suggestive amount to put in each capsule?

Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
I just fill them nearly all the way up. Not sure if that's best or not but it's worked fine for me.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Here is a good thread for this topic: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...bs-308735.html

Old 07-12-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
Here is a good thread for this topic: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...bs-308735.html

Thanks for that link man!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Algae Grower

Has anyone put the ferts into balls of clay? I have heard of a local seller doing this and was curious about DIY-ing it.

Faux Fashion Statement
Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manlyfan76 View Post
Has anyone put the ferts into balls of clay? I have heard of a local seller doing this and was curious about DIY-ing it.
Was done here a few months ago. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187077
Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I use size -00- capsules for making my Osmocote Plus root tabs, I get 1,000 capsules for just over $10 with free shipping. I get my capsules from "healthylivingnutritions" on e-b-a-y

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing
Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New question

So I went to get the osmocote this morning I I only see indoor/outdoor and flower/vegetable mix. This wasn't the one I was looking for and I looked up and found out they don't make all purpose any many.

So are there any other fertilizers I should try or is the indoor/outdoor variety fine?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in