KH4 solution confusion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
KH4 solution confusion

I thought buying distilled water to make a KH4 solution meant the distilled water would be soft and you would add baking soda to achieve 4KH. I tested the distilled water straight from the bottle which gave me a blue reading(start point on the Red Sea KH test kit). I have to add like 18 drops to reach the end result color.This would indicate very hard water according to directions. My tank water starts out a amber color which only requires a few drops to achieve end point. What am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Check and make sure its: Distilled water. Not spring water or any of the others......

It will say Distilled on the label.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
Check and make sure its: Distilled water. Not spring water or any of the others......

It will say Distilled on the label.....
Distilled,filtered and ozonated. Crystal Springs Distilled Water. Source: Munincipal Water Supply,Mableton Ga.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Ok, I'm not personally familiar with the Red Sea kits. I use AP and Seachem, but Kh kits are usually a no-brainer. So, something is wrong. I don't know what, but what you are describing doesn't sound right.....

HTH

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Distilled,filtered and ozonated. Crystal Springs Distilled Water. Source: Munincipal Water Supply,Mableton Ga.
Look for water that is prepared using reverse osmosis on the label, otherwise there can be impurities left over. All methods of water purification are not created equal:

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wat...ion-method.htm
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

I have decided to just buy a KH4 solution and quit playing chemist. This way I know it's accurate.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I made some 4 dKH solution using Bill's directions: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ndard-how.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
I made some 4 dKH solution using Bill's directions: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ndard-how.html
Funny,I just paid $7.49 for a personalized solution from Bill
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
test your distill water, just in case... it should be 0dkh.

And I usually start with 2 cups of distilled water and a small pinch of baking soda.. Add more d water if the kh is too high.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
I thought buying distilled water to make a KH4 solution meant the distilled water would be soft and you would add baking soda to achieve 4KH. I tested the distilled water straight from the bottle which gave me a blue reading(start point on the Red Sea KH test kit). I have to add like 18 drops to reach the end result color.This would indicate very hard water according to directions. My tank water starts out a amber color which only requires a few drops to achieve end point. What am I missing here?
Okay -this confuses me a bit - the starting point for both tests should be the same color... The Red Sea KH test start point is the blue color...so when you test your tank, if one drop of reagent turns the solution to the end color (amber-ish) that's your hardness. But you're saying that your distilled water takes 18 drops to change the water from blue (start) to amber (end)? What color are you getting when you are done adding the reagent to your tank water? It should be amber when you're through, signaling the "end" of the test...

I have to ask this - but you're not confusing the KH and GH reagents are you? Or using them interchangeably or something?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode