Anyone ever use their dry ferts for (terrestrial) houseplants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Question Anyone ever use their dry ferts for (terrestrial) houseplants?

Does anyone use their dry ferts to make a solution for houseplants or garden plants? I have a few plants on my balcony, and one of them (a potted Japanese maple) looks like it has a nitrogen deficiency. I was thinking because I already have bags of dry ferts that I will never use up for my small fish tank, I could probably make a solution to fertilize some of my potted terrestrial plants too.

Just curious if anyone has done this, and if so, what method and formula was used. I have the usual dry salts- KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, CSM +B.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use old aquarium water on my plants. Whatever fertilizers linger benefit the plants.

Yes, you can mix the dry ferts in water and make a liquid for land plants. That is where these ferts originally came from: Agriculture.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
One problem with using the fertilizers we use is the amount of potassium they contain. If you want to replicate say Miracle gro all purpose you either have to reduce the nitrogen considerably to match potassium or raise the potassium A LOT. Better sources of nitrogen for terrestrial plants are the urea and ammonia based forms. That's one of the reasons you see them used on most terrestrial fertilizers.

Terrestrial plants have various requirements. A fertilizer good for trees is not good for flowers. As far as your maple, you may be better off re-potting it with soil rich in organics or using slow release fertilizers. Japanese maples are not heavy feeders. In fact, using liquids with high nitrogen can kill them quite quickly.

Hoaglands solution is a popular hydroponic solution. I have used that as a liquid fertilizer. You would need Ca(NO3)2 (calcium Nitrate) and MgSO4.7H2O (epsom salt).

Here is a close approximation using what you have plus the extra calcium and Magnesium.

This makes 1 gallon.

Ca(NO3)2.4H2O 4.461 gm (approximately 1/4 teaspoons)
KNO3 2.018 gm (approximately 1/2 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 515.58 mg (approximately 1/16 teaspoons)
MgSO4.7H2O 1.823 gm (approximately 1/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 144.925 mg (approximately 1/32 teaspoons)

N 210
P 31
K 245
Fe 2.5
Ca 200
Mg 48
Cu 0.034
B 0.306
Mn 0.716
Mo 0.019
S 62.668
Zn 0.142

Last edited by Zorfox; 07-07-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added Hoagland's solution

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Thanks, very helpful!

Tags
dry ferts, fertilizer, potted plant, terrestrial plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode