Potassium deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Potassium deficiency?

Is this really potassium deficiency?
I noticed this in the tank a while ago and adding a bit more of the macro solution doesn't seem to do the job!

A better experienced eye maybe can help me out!
Ceratopteris cornuta

A stem plant... Plant ID maybe someone

i Dont know the name of this plant too .. but sends out these leaves from the substrate!

As you can see there is new growth but the problem seems to be in the older leaves ... a sign i related to it being a macro deficiency and not micro
Also the edges of the leaves turn crippled and brown if u can see!

I followed This calculator to make a stock solution of 64.813g of kno3 and 9.872g of kh2po4

Thank you for you time !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The second picture shows substantial improvement over the older leaves. Old damaged leaves do not "repair". New leaves will come out having improved appearence in acordence/w the level that you adjusted the fert. If well enough, the new leaves should be without holes at all. I would allow at least a couple of weeks before doing another adjustment. Takes time for the new level of fert to completely "fix" the plants ability to grow properly.
If problems/w nitrates happen as a result of the new doses, K2SO4 can be substituted for 50% of the total amount of KNO3 you are dosing. The NO3 adds to any nitrates.
The K2SO4 has non of this, but has slightly more K(potassium)@ 50% of the dose.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The images you see are as a result of increased dosing for a period of exactly 3weeks now... So I've been waiting too long.. I thought of adding kcl to the macro mix to get a ratio of 10:20 ppm of noł:k .. Can u confirm that it is in fact potassium deficiency?

As always thanx for your time

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...iciency+charts
http://deficiencyfinder.com/
I think the plant you asked about the name of has the same structure as these.
http://deficiencyfinder.com/?page_id=549
http://deficiencyfinder.com/?page_id=981

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Honestly those links confuse me even further !
Ray what ratio of no3:po4:k do you use in your successful tank ?
just out of curiosity
Thanks for your time..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
It really depends on the plant species. Some are K hogs, like H. pinnatifida. I find I've had to increase weekly dosing to 30+ppm to prevent algae and holes. I'd also avoid using KCl as excess Cl can harm fish health. Use KSO4 instead.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use KNO3 which is potassium nitrate. It doesn't allow for adjusting of percents. it is already a compound. I now use K2SO4 for half of it to keep down the nitrates.
If you added more potassium and the new leaves had less holes then this says it is potassium.
quali-chem is one of the e-bay sellers who I got it from.
Before I used a fert system called EI. But that is intended for tanks which have injected CO2 in them. It also requires 50% water change per week to keep from building up and is made for tanks which have lots of plants. It was too much for my few plants. Now I use PPS Pro fert system. Or I should say one like it.
I only use 2 ml of Sea Chem Flourish Comprehensive plus 7ml of Tetra Pride once a week with a 50% water change per month. Much better for my 10g(40L) tank.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

("I only use 2 ml of Sea Chem Flourish Comprehensive plus 7ml of Tetra Pride once a week")
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

All at one time. That is a once a week dose. I have not had time to see how it works as compared to the EI that I was dosing. I have no fast growing type plants like Wisteria in there and I can see it has slowed down the growth of those I have.
But I expect it to have some kind of effect when you change something. It will be
about a month(two more weeks) from when I started it till I can see how they are growing then. Just one or two doses of a fert usually doesn't show up that quick.
Except for when plants run out of something they need to continue growing, which
just stops them from growing...they need a few weeks of regular doses for you to see any pattern to the growth.

Tags
cornuta, deficiency, potassium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode