Aggressive daily ramp up on CO2 bad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Aggressive daily ramp up on CO2 bad?

Tried search but didn't find anything obvious.

Short version:

Will injecting co2 at a fast rate which changes my pH from ~7.6 in the morning to my target of 6.8 be bad for my tetras? It currently takes about 4 hours. I'd like to reduce it to 30-60 minutes. Bad idea?

Longer version:

I have a 36g medium planted tank with tetras. My CO2 solenoid is hooked up to same timer as the lights(98w T5). When the lights cut out, pH raises as expected. But in the morning it takes a good 4 hours to drop the pH back down to the target level. Since i'm using a controller (SMS122), can I just crank up the bubble rate so CO2 concentration raises quickly? I realize the pH will also drop quickly and I'm guessing that's bad for my tetras? The reason I ask this and not just get another timer is:

1. A faster bubble rate lets my reactor send out some tiny little co2 bubbles all around the tank which I've read is good. With slower bubble rates, I get complete diffusion with my aquamedic 1000 reactor.
2. Saves a little gas because I'm not wasting the co2 that gets outgassed in that 2 hour pre-light window. Not really a big deal since a 10lb refill is only $8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I don't see having your CO2 on a couple of hours before lights on as a waste. Since you're talking about increasing your bubble rate instead it seems it might come out about the same as far as CO2 usage. The easiest thing for me has been to have my CO2 come on 3 hours prior to lights on. By this time the drop checker is a very light green and remains so for the rest of the day.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Saving co2 is more of a perk. I'm primarily interested in bumping up the rate because I won't have to use another timer and the bubble misting feature.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
The danger of having a high bubble rate is if the pH monitor or solenoid ever fails...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
What do you guys consider a high bubble rate? I have mine at about 1-1.5 bps on a 60 gallon using a AM1000 reactor and Eheim 2217. Still trying to figure out what my rate should be and get no algae.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I run around 3-4 bps to achieve approximately 30ppm on a 75 gallon, but to accurately determine your CO2 level you really need to set up a drop checker with a 4KH reference solution.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...p-checker.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ya, I have a drop checker with 4KH solution. I think the bubble rates would depend on how large a bubble is as well. I am using the AM1000 bubble counter. What do you use to count your bubbles? I also own a an ADA bubble counter and those bubble seem smaller to me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's a JBJ bubble counter ( or something very similar ) attached to the regulator.

http://www.bluewatercorals.com/jbj-b...alefemale.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode