Time CO2 is ON - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Time CO2 is ON

I know many people turn their CO2 on a certain time before the lights turn on and a certain time before the lights turn off.

I am also assuming that you want to get the CO2 up to about 30ppm when the lights turn on.

So how many hours before do you turn your CO2 on relative to the lights turning on?

How about how many hours you turn your CO2 off relative to the lights turn off?

How do you deal with trying to get lots of CO3 into the tank early on and still not gas your fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Have your co2 go on one hour before lights on and off at the same time as lights out.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
my co2 goes on about 2 hours before the lights and off with the lights.
not gassing your fish is either by testing, using a drop checker, or just using an observant eye.

start with a low co2 level and increase it in very small increments every day throughout a week..
when you have too much co2 your fish will start to act strange, swimming on their sides or laying inactive on the bottom or caught in a plant.... but not dead. this is when you shut off the gas and do the 50% wc with excessive surface agitation and plug in the air pump. they do not die immediately from too much co2. it will takes several hours, so you have plenty of time to notice them behaving strangely. discus and other cichlids usually react first.
i have tetras and rasboras in the tank, along with corys and one very big swordtail that do not at all seem to notice the co2 in the tank is probably 50 ppm or more. this is while the discus are in a state of vertigo swimming upside down doing backflips.
if you have only tetras and such they probably die much quicker once co2 concentration becomes toxic to them, likely greater than 60 ppm.

just buy a drop checker and 4dkh solution. then you will never have to guess at what you are doing.

this happened to me a while ago when my filter sucked in something that jammed it up. without the surface agitation my bubble count is too high so the co2 level skyrocketed through the day. this is one reason why some people prefer to use a ph controller.
it is noted that anything above 30 ppm doesnt deliver any additional benifets.

i just keep my drop checker between green/yellow all day.

it also stays about the same color all through the night.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Natty Send a message via MSN to Natty
OMG, I was going to make the exact same thread as you were a few minutes ago then realize you did it already.

Thanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR View Post
i just keep my drop checker between green/yellow all day.

it also stays about the same color all through the night.
Its the same with me thats why when I start my CO2, I usually just start my lights right away and I turn off lights about an hour after turning off the CO2.

My question to you is, is it okay for the drop checker to actually stay green/yellow throughout the night?

I heard that if it stays that way for too long it'll become inaccurate.

Is this correct? Its hard to tell where your co2 really is when its almost always green/yellow. Mines is always that color.

EDIT---
Shanek I gave you your first reputation! Share the joy. lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
following that logic who's to say it wouldnt also cause the drop checker to be innacurate by staying green all the time?

so far to the best of my knowledge my drop checker has not become innacurate.

a lot of people say they change the reagent in the drop checker every 3 weeks.
-i never change it.

i believe that the reagent never really goes bad. (long term effects from exposure to the lights is yet to be discovered by me.)
that is just the nature of the chemical to have a color that corresponds with the ph of the solution. our co2 concentrations just dont drop a whole lot during the night, the only reason why the color stays about the same.
i just gauge the drop checker by the shade of green that it is.
mine is always leaning to the yellow side, this does not cause a problem.
put something white behind it. i use an algae scrubber that is white. i just stick it behind the drop checker andlook at the color when it is hard to see. it is between green and yellow. but not full yellow, probably close to 35ppm co2,which is fine but is a bit high.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Natty,

In order to try and be able to discern between the different shades of green, I use the cal aqua labs drop checker. It has a comparison tube to compare the color against.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wouldn't it be a problem for the stability of pH of water by turning on and off the CO2?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrextreme View Post
Wouldn't it be a problem for the stability of pH of water by turning on and off the CO2?
That's why you calculate and observe your PH swing. PH swing means the difference betwen your ph before injecting CO2 and at the end of the day when you turn it off, at least from my knowledge correct me if I'm wrong. My ph never drops more than 1.0, but if you add some baking soda, the ph stabilizes and moves less often.

For example without baking soda input after each WC (Note: This is just me, every person's situation is different, you don't have to add a little baking soda like I do) My ph would be like 7.2. With CO2 it would then get to be about 6.2-6.5. With baking soda, the swing is smaller from my experience, only changing to about 0.5. So 7.2 becomes 6.6-6.8.

@DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR

Well, what I heard form multiple people on this forum is that the drop checker is suppose to tell you how your CO2 levels are an hour behind the change. For example:

For the sake of this example, you raise your CO2 PPM to 30 PPM. A newly added drop checker, which starts out blue, will remain blue but gradually change over the course of 1~ hour.

I'm guessing its because it takes awhile for the reagent to react with the change.

I find the drop checker a bit questionable when it doesn't ever change. Makes me question its accuracy and whether its worn out or what.

I'm going to change the drop checker fluid today and see whats up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The reason why alot of people turn the CO2 off at night is because plants take O2 and give off CO2. Therefore, the fish may be deprived of O2 at night (fish gasping for air in the early morning hours).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks @Natty for that informative explanation and surely confused me a little. I assume the baking soda as sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). I have an asian biotope so lower pH the better for me. I guess having a pH stabilizer is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanek View Post
The reason why alot of people turn the CO2 off at night is because plants take O2 and give off CO2. Therefore, the fish may be deprived of O2 at night (fish gasping for air in the early morning hours).
This can be surpassed by giving O2 with an air pump at night. Thus, there wouldn't be any "pH swing" also.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrextreme View Post
Thanks @Natty for that informative explanation and surely confused me a little. I assume the baking soda as sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). I have an asian biotope so lower pH the better for me. I guess having a pH stabilizer is a must.

This can be surpassed by giving O2 with an air pump at night. Thus, there wouldn't be any "pH swing" also.
NP, hope I wasn't too confusing lol. As long as you keep your KH to about 3-4 degrees, its good enough. I only add baking soda so that the ph wont drop so much. What you should really care about is the stability of your ph. That's the thing that can kill your inhabitants. As long as its gradual and stable, its good enough.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode